My visit to the Dietician

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I have reduced my carbs to what I would normally have eaten in the past and headed off to my dietician appt to listen to her waffle about eat more of this and why have you reduced your portion sizes to that size.

Imagine my surprise when she looked at my food diary - I didn't lie on it and she said we are on the right tracks but you need to eat more PROTEIN!!!

She feels that it is wrong Diabetics are given such misleading information when you really need to be a marathon runner to burn off the recommended carb intake!

She didn't want me going much lower than what I have done, ie b'fast I have 30g porridge oats, 1tbsp flaked almonds, or a boiled egg and dip Asparagus in and my lunches were fine as 1 slice of bread made into an open sandwich, my soups and for my dinner she was quite happy with my 2 baby new boiled potato, 1 tbsp of basmatti rice or 1 tbsp cooked pasta.

She's suggested I snack on a few nuts and maybe an oatcake with some philly light/nut butter spread on it. She also said she would prefer if I was going to eat some fruit I had it with my lunch or main meal as it gives too much of a jolt to your system in the morning and will spike the sugars. She's also suggested adding lentils to alot of things such as stews, bolognese sauce, chili etc for added protein and as it has carbs as well I wouldn't need to add anything else.

Have to say that as she has written down what I need to change my mum has been a bit more receptive to me saying I don't want that on my plate thank you, Mum still has the diet leaflet I was first ever given!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Fiona,
What an absolute gem of a dietitian you have there - one who actually understands the metabolic cycle instead of following a set of guidelines that were wrong 30 years ago and are still wrong today!

Whatever you do don't lose her - put a tracking device on her if necessary!!!