ND 800 calories (AGAIN)

murph524

Hi Folks,

I'm just about to start the Newcastle diet again, I did it about 3 1/2 years ago, but I let things slip and landed back where I started, It's been a bad 6 months, eating like a non diabetic, so much ****, So here goes again, starting Monday 14th November back on to the asda shakes breakfast and lunch then a veggie meal at supper time. Anyone else doing this diet just now?

Reactions: kokhongw

murph524

Monday 14th Nov
3x asda shakes made with water 116 calories each 8.3 grms of carbs
350 grms veggie stir fry 135 calories and 15 grms of carbs
250 grms of alpro with 50 grms raspberries and sweetner 130 calories and 7.2 grms of carbs
2 cups of tea 10 calories
so that's 625 calories and 47 grms of carbs
fasting bloods 9.9
weight 13.12

murph524

Tuesday 15th Nov
fasting bloods 9.6
3 x asda shakes
384 grams mushrooms made into a soup = 85 calories and 12.8 grams of carbs
100 grams cherry tomatoes = 25 calories and 3.6 grams of carbs
250 grams alpro with 50 grams of raspberries = 130 calories and 7.2 grams of carbs
3 cups of tea 15 cals
so that's 703 calories and 48.5 grams of carbs

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, @murph524
Well done, recognising your need to get some control back.
Do you have a maintenence plan for when you finish the latest ND 800 calorie phase? I ask, because that is the part of the ND many people fail to recognise. It does not stop at the end of the 8 week very low calorie part. Prof Taylor of ND fame does specify that following the very low calorie phase it will be necessary to eat around half to two thirds of your calorie intake prior to embarking on the very low calorie phase, and to weigh yourself weekly, and take action if increase in weight goes beyond 1 to 2kg.

Not having a go at you, personally, @murph524 . I and many others have fallen at this hurdle. Just highlighting it for any who think ND is a quick fix.
Best of luck with it all.

murph524

Hi, @murph524
Well done, recognising your need to get some control back.
Do you have a maintenence plan for when you finish the latest ND 800 calorie phase? I ask, because that is the part of the ND many people fail to recognise. It does not stop at the end of the 8 week very low calorie part. Prof Taylor of ND fame does specify that following the very low calorie phase it will be necessary to eat around half to two thirds of your calorie intake prior to embarking on the very low calorie phase, and to weigh yourself weekly, and take action if increase in weight goes beyond 1 to 2kg.

Not having a go at you, personally, @murph524 . I and many others have fallen at this hurdle. Just highlighting it for any who think ND is a quick fix.
Best of luck with it all.
Hi Pipp, As of yet I have not put to much thought into it yet, Sunday to Thursday are not to bad for me before the diet started 3-4 egg omlette for breakfast Lidl high protein roll with cheese and ham for dinner and what ever wife makes for supper, Its the weekend that got me, 4 bottles of wine 6-8 stella's sharing packets of revels pizza or Indian, over Friday and Saturday. But like you say it's reconising the fact that something needs to be done. hopefully I will get through the 8 weeks with xmas day and boxing day off,
Any tips that you think might help feel free, Thanks.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Pipp, As of yet I have not put to much thought into it yet, Sunday to Thursday are not to bad for me before the diet started 3-4 egg omlette for breakfast Lidl high protein roll with cheese and ham for dinner and what ever wife makes for supper, Its the weekend that got me, 4 bottles of wine 6-8 stella's sharing packets of revels pizza or Indian, over Friday and Saturday. But like you say it's reconising the fact that something needs to be done. hopefully I will get through the 8 weeks with xmas day and boxing day off,
Any tips that you think might help feel free, Thanks.
You could look at the low carb programme on here. It is really important to have a follow up plan before the end of the 800 calorie phase. Unless you want this endless cyle of famine and feast to go on forever. No guarantee it will work multiple times. Read up on Newcastle research, which says you can pparty occasionally, but have to pay back. also good to look at the 8 week Blood Sugar diet for advice on follow on.

murph524

Wed 16th Nov
fasting bloods 9.3
3 x shakes 348 calories and 24.9 carbs
350 gram mix veg 105 calories and 12.3 carbs
200 gr tinned tomatoes 36 calories and 5.8 carbs
250 gr alpro with 50 gr raspberries 130 calories 7.2 carbs
3 cups of tea 15 calories
so that's 634 calories and 50.2 grams of carbs.

murph524

The reason that I'm listing everything I have in a day is mainly so I can look back and see exactly what Iv'e eaten for the whole day. just in case anyone was wondering.

Reactions: ickihun

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The reason that I'm listing everything I have in a day is mainly so I can look back and see exactly what Iv'e eaten for the whole day. just in case anyone was wondering.
Good idea, will also allow me to pinch your ideas rather than reinvent the wheel when I try the BSD in the new year

Reactions: ickihun

murph524

You could look at the low carb programme on here. It is really important to have a follow up plan before the end of the 800 calorie phase. Unless you want this endless cyle of famine and feast to go on forever. No guarantee it will work multiple times. Read up on Newcastle research, which says you can pparty occasionally, but have to pay back. also good to look at the 8 week Blood Sugar diet for advice on follow on.
Thanks Pipp, I will get onto the Newcastle research and look through that, also hopefully it will take down my readings.

Reactions: Pipp

murph524

Good idea, will also allow me to pinch your ideas rather than reinvent the wheel when I try the BSD in the new year
Hi walnut face LOL you won't get that many ideas from me, I will more than likely find a few things I like and just stick with them, But if I do feel free.

murph524

Thursday 17th Nov
fasting bloods 10.0
3 x shakes 348 and 24.9 carbs
350 grms mix veg = 105 cals and 12.3 carbs
200 grms tinned tomatoes = 36 cals and 5.8 carbs
125 grms grated cauliflower = 32 cals and 6.0 carbs
cauliflower was fried off in some 1 cal spray and I added curry powder topped veg then grilled it for 5 mins (salt to taste)
250 grms alpro with 50 grms raspberries = 130 cals and 7.2 carbs
5 cups of tea = 25 cals
so that's 691 calories and 56.2 grams of carbs

I did a little bit of weights before I went to bed, I wonder if that made for the slight increase in fasting bloods.

yiannis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm coming towards the end of week 3 of the diet. I'm using meal replacements from myprotein. com + a meal of green things. lost nearly 8kg in first two weeks having previously lost 17.5kg just by stopping the booze and getting into the gym.
fasting glucose is 4.9 having gone up around day 4 and 5. I'm looking at the low carb plan mentioned above for afterwards and think it will suit me. Good luck.

murph524

I'm coming towards the end of week 3 of the diet. I'm using meal replacements from myprotein. com + a meal of green things. lost nearly 8kg in first two weeks having previously lost 17.5kg just by stopping the booze and getting into the gym.
fasting glucose is 4.9 having gone up around day 4 and 5. I'm looking at the low carb plan mentioned above for afterwards and think it will suit me. Good luck.
Keep up the good work, I like to do my weight in pounds as it feels like you are loosing more lol. I,m going to do it weekly so I don't get disheartened if I don't loose weight daily. What was your fasting glucose when you started? and are you on any meds? Good luck also to you.

yiannis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm weighing myself first thing every Monday. I was shocked last week as I thought I had lost nothing . Hba1c in April was 9. fasting glucose 3 weeks ago was around 6, but shot up on day 4 and 5 and then quickly settled down again . I take metformin 500mg tds but intend to try without them after Christmas. Next hba1c will be 3rd week of December .

murph524

Fri 18th Nov
fasting bloods 9.2
3 x shakes 348 cals and 24.9 carbs
560 grms curried cauliflower 140 cals and 28 carbs
250 grms alpro and 50 grms raspberries 130 cals and 7.2 carbs
5 cups of tea 25 cals
so that's 643 calories and 60.1 grams of carbs