Need guidance

Lisajayne12

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi everyone I’m from the UK my son is 10 years old, I brought a blood sugar monitor yesterday, his blood sugar was 9.2 ‍♀️ four hours after food, after tea it was 14 his not a diabetic but with blood sugars like that should I be waiting till Monday to take him the doctors or do I go to the hospital? I did check his urine no ketones (urine dip sticks) what should normal blood sugars be for a 10 year old? Many thanks for reading this xx

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Yes, those readings are outside the normal range. It's possible that there's something else going on other than diabetes, but I'd definitely be seeing a doctor asap to get it investigated. The good news is that there are currently no ketones, diabetic ketoacidosis is what kills young undiagnosed diabetics and your son doesn't (yet) have it. But to be on the safe side I'd probably ring 111 and tell them what you've posted here - there's no point in taking risks with a child's health and DKA can come on fast in the young.

Good luck. Worst case, if your son has diabetes it truly isn't the end of the world. Modern technology and treatments are infinitely better than 48 years ago when I was diagnosed as an 8 year old, and it's not stopped me from doing anything in my life (luckily I never wanted to join the army or be an astronaut.:)).

Lisajayne12

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I didn’t think they were normal ‍♀️ thank you so much for your advice, it is amazing how fair technology has developed in the years. Thank you was thinking all sorts. Xx

Reactions: Ponchu

Lisajayne12

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Saw a doctor which he has checked him over and told me to monitor and keep a daily diary until I get him in gps Monday unless he reaches 15 plus and stays like that then AnE all day his been 7.7 and 10.4 xx

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Come back if he is confirmed as diabetic. Hope all is well.