Need help ASAP

Robynberrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay so I'm pretty worried right now. I have just checked my blood glucose levels and they are just below 20 so I decided to check my ketones and they are just below 3. What do I do?? I know you have to do something like take your background insulin or something along those lines but I can't remember and now I'm scared.

Can anyone give me any advice???

Thanks x

Robynberrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Novorapid for before my meals and levemir for my slow releasing. Yeah I'm type 1. I feel normal x

Robynberrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope. I was taking my slow releasing insulin and I have to check my blood sugar levels before bed and they were high

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have your diabetic team talked to you about corrective doses of insulin?

Robynberrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not really. They gave me a sheet of paper with sick day rules on and what to do if your ketones read high but it's all confusing.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1442266692.129854.jpg

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it was me I'd just consider a correction dose and drink lots of water whilst keeping a close eye on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Spacebadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the same situation the other night.

Best thing to do is get yourself to a hospital.

I got conflicting advice... The doctor on the phone told me to wait and see him in the morning.

The doctor in the hospital asked me why I didn't go to the hospital the night before.

I was feeling okay. But DKA is no walk in the park, and you don't want to get to that level

Robynberrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've already had a DKA this year. Was in May. Was a pretty bad scare for me. If I can correct my doses myself tonight and see how I am in the morning. I just don't get correction doses

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So a adjustment on your normal insulin maybe 2 units and check again in and hr or two. Don't panic that's the worst thing to do as it will add to levels. Are you with someone xxx

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A ketone level of nearly 3 is quite high, can you phone an out of hours nurse or doctor to get some advice ?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No one can give medical advice here but I can see your paper has advice about ketones. It's not good that it wasn't explained to you properly. I know it's no help now, but do get you're DSN to go through it properly with you.

The ketones are probably there because your blood sugar is high. I think you're on MDI. I'm not - I'm on a pump. Hopefully, someone on MDI will be able to help. A corrective dose is extra insulin (quick acting) that you give yourself if your blood sugar is high. I know how much one unit of insulin should reduce my blood sugar by.

Can you think of any reason for the high? Are you ill? Did you count carbs wrongly?

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone panics with high levels don't just watch it for a while. Waste of time going to hospital just tell you what I've told you. Had DKA too many times so do understand sweetie

Spacebadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I honestly would think it's worth just getting to a hospital. It's not an emergency yet, but an overnight stay whilst they regulate your sugars will do you wonders...

And much better to get in before you become acidotic.

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure as to your circumstances, I.e; how long you have been diabetic, how often you test etc.

You currently have too much Glucose in ur bloodsteam and need to take some insulin to correct this.

I suggest you take a corrective dose only if you feel comfortable with and then test after 30, 60 and 90 minutes.

If you experience the following symptons, then seek medical help/advice;

• Stomach pains
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Breathlessness
  • Breath that smells fruity
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...c8dA0o&usg=AFQjCNHYOnz_a5-rtSjTQjwAy_QIO7MERA

Markpick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take around 1novarapid to bring me down 3-4~ still honeymooning but carb count 1 nova to 20g carbs not sure what works for you but maybe a call to out of hours just to be sure?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've already had a DKA this year. Was in May. Was a pretty bad scare for me. If I can correct my doses myself tonight and see how I am in the morning. I just don't get correction doses

As you've had DKA quite recently, I would phone the out of hours doctors service and see what they say. In the meantime, drink plenty of water as that should help a little.