need help treating sons highs

My 7 yr old son was diagnosed two months ago, he is on twice daily injections of humalin m3. over last three / four days his bloods have been steadily rising. Today at lunch he was 15.9, before dinner 23.1 and now is 26.4. i have given him his usual dose of humalin and an unit of novorapid all before dinner but this doesn't seem to have bought him down, infact hes higher now. I'm unsure whether to give him more novorapid or to just leave him. incidentally ketones are slightly raised but nothing to concern me but he is complaining of painful stomach and feeling sick. Any advice would be most appreciated thanks :D

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think you must go back to the DN or GP to discuss insulin options. It sounds like he will need the number of units increased but you will need guidance on that. Meanwhile avoid excessive carb intake and try to keep the carbs low-GI and spread thru the day to help get the insulin into balance by avoiding excessive sugar spikes. Hopefully your DN offered help when needed if you hit problems with the insulin. Most DNs know that there will be questions and mine, in common with many others, will respond by email.

weeezer

I know I'm repeating my reply from yr other thread, but...painful stomach/feeling sick, sounds like ketones are about? Wouldn't be a shock if he's that high, what was ketone reading before bed? That is too high to be going to bed on...can you pop a couple of quick acting units in now whilst he's asleep? And set an alarm to check in few hours?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App