Need some advice on Type 1 diabetic husband

Nightwishes1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I hope this is the right place to post this as I'm new to the site but I need advice.

My hubby is type 1 diabetic (diagnosed around 4 years now) and I don't know what to do :(

My partner suffers from panic attacks and they can occur when he has his injections and is currently having therapy for anxiety this at the hospital, but the problem is now my hubby has totally stopped doing his injections at all (he followed the DAPHNE technique for injections pre/post meals and then a long acting injection before bed). It must be 3 or more months since I noticed him using his needle pen or getting a new prescription. I know he says he feels fine and has just had a retinopathy examination and that shows no damage (in fact his eyesight has improved) but I'm very very worried about his long term health and as he normally never tests his blood and hasn't had a bloodtest at the hospital for some time I have no idea how his blood work is.

I can tell him until the cows come home that he must persevere and continue to inject but he is very very stubborn and the only time he now injects is before a check up etc and refuses to take my advice even though he has been told the consequences when he was first diagnosed and during his Daphne course etc..

I don't know who to speak to but I'm getting very worried as he is trying to 'in his own way' deny he has a health problem and is back to drinking sugary drinks etc as well as not injecting.

I would appreciate any help or advice.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nightwishes,

You may want to let your partner read the following, this is a tragic story of ellen's husband who refused to accept his diabetes and the care which was offered to him.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12551&start=0

Nigel

sugar2

My heart goes out to you...it must be so difficult to watch this happening.

i guess the good news is that he must be soin something...or he would have collapsed in a heap already with dka.

I don't know what works with him...I had a few years of complete denial, and the more my Mum nagged, the more I refused to take charge of myself. I am paying for it now, as I have problems with my eyes.

Maybe you could try "joining him"? OK, so you can't do the injections...(and don't, it may kill you!) but how about a challenge...tyest your blood and carb count, deny yourself evrything he has to etc etc. i know it is never going to be the same, as being a none diabetic, your bg levels are always going to be good, but I wonder if this approach might help? (Don't let on to your GP, as they wouldn't be too pleased aboutthe test strips being wasted...so maybe just the finger pricking bit?)

Siunds daft, and laos like you are treating him like a child, but it might work. I am always better at going on a weight loss diet if I have someone to do it with.
The other thing I wonder about is how old he is? Lack of control will have fertilty repercussions, would this be teh carrot he needs to work on his control?

For me, it was a serious health scare...but it still had to be me who made the decision.

Ellens post is a very moving reminder of why staying on teh diabetic wagon is so important

Good luck!