Need some advice

Dave_Mc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been diagnosed with T2 for just over 2 years now and for some reason I am really struggling with Diet. I am trying to do a Low Carb diet, but as a shift worker and Long Distance HGV Driver I am stryuggling to cope. Is there anyone else doin g similar work and if so what can I eat which is pallatable at very early times of the day. Cereal is a nono, cereal buscuits are also a nono. I've tried fruit buit at 1.00am, apples and the like aren't very appetising. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dave. Mc

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you like cold meat like ham or chicken, boiled eggs, cheese? - if you are eating in a truck stop a cooked brekkie of bacon, eggs, good quality sausage and maybe some mushrooms- be careful of black pudding and beans . Pork scratching are also good for a snack or a small handful of nuts - go easy on peanuts and cashews- I can appreciate it's hard to find stuff at 1 am when you're travelling :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would take my own food and snacks in a container, or preferably stop at a service station for a good old fry up.

Dave_Mc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you like cold meat like ham or chicken, boiled eggs, cheese? - if you are eating in a truck stop a cooked brekkie of bacon, eggs, good quality sausage and maybe some mushrooms- be careful of black pudding and beans . Pork scratching are also good for a snack or a small handful of nuts - go easy on peanuts and cashews- I can appreciate it's hard to find stuff at 1 am when you're travelling :)
Thanks for this. I like cold meats, but I'm a bit wary of Cooked/boiled Ham what with the scare of Bowel Cancer from processed meats. Like most of the other info....do you have any idea's what would be good for the really early starts....1.00am chicken/eggs might be a bit heavy. I tried just a hot drink but having not eaten for quitre a few hours before I slept, just a drink does nothing for my hunger ?

Dave_Mc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would take my own food and snacks in a container, or preferably stop at a service station for a good old fry up.
Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that I am going to have to take my own food it's just a case of getting ideas what to eat at silly o'clock, 1.00am and the likes, when some foods aren't very appetising.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this. I like cold meats, but I'm a bit wary of Cooked/boiled Ham what with the scare of Bowel Cancer from processed meats. Like most of the other info....do you have any idea's what would be good for the really early starts....1.00am chicken/eggs might be a bit heavy. I tried just a hot drink but having not eaten for quitre a few hours before I slept, just a drink does nothing for my hunger ?
I don't drink it myself as I can't stand anything in my coffee other than more coffee but lots on here swear by coffee with a good splash of double cream keeps them full for hours

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
One of my quick and easy low carb breakfasts is yoghurt with stewed fruit.
Every few days I dice an apple and or pear, add some rasps and or strawberreis and simmer until the fruit is mushy and when cool pop into a container in the fridge where it will keep for several days. The berries lower the overall carbs of the cooked fruit as apples and pearas are a bit high on the fruit carbs list.
You could also add nuts to the above.

Reactions: Kittycat_7_