Need some help please!!

Sammiejr83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My son 10 years old has just been reacently diagnosed and he is on 93rd centile (for those of you that have had babies you will know what that means) I'm trying to carb count but I can never get it right, I always go too high he seems to be hungry all the time please help this is all new to me
Thanks a overly worried mother

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My son 10 years old has just been reacently diagnosed and he is on 93rd centile (for those of you that have had babies you will know what that means) I'm trying to carb count but I can never get it right, I always go too high he seems to be hungry all the time please help this is all new to me

Hi and welcome,

I'm afraid I can't help you, but you should get some help if you move your post to a more relevant sub-section http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/parents.16/

I'll tag a mod to see if it can be moved @himtoo @AndBreathe

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @Sammiejr83 did you intend to post in the ketogenic diet sub forum?

Ketogenic diets are severely carb reduced diets. Carb counting doesn't mean restricting carbs, it just means counting the carbs.

When you say yo "always go too high" what do you mean? There are two possibilities:
  1. You over estimate the amount of carbs, bolus with too much insulin causing hypos. Hunger can be a hypo symptom. The carbs and Cals book or app and a weighing scale should help with carb counting; or
  2. He spikes high after meals. This might require review of his insulin:carb ratio and considering pre blousing. Hunger can also be a symptom of hyperglycaemia.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sammiejr83 - If you would like your post moved to somewhere perhaps a bit more tailored to your son's circumstances - either T1 or children's areas, just reply to this post and I'll happily move it for you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Sammiejr83 and welcome to you and your son.

Can you have a chat to your son's health team about carb/insulin ratios?

I am going to tag in a few more type 1 diabetics with lots of experience and see if they can offer you any advice
@Jaylee
@noblehead
@Snapsy

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sammiejr83 and welcome! You might find some useful information in the Parents subforum, but as far as carb counting is concerned I would recommend reviewing his insulin to carb ratios with his team at the hospital, and doing lots and lots of testing.

When you say you always go too high, do you mean you are overestimating the amount of carbohydrate, or do you mean that he is going high?

As far as accurate carb counting is concerned, food labelling these days is brilliant, and for instance you can see how much carbohydrate is in 100g uncooked spaghetti and do the maths - like, 50g dry pasta per portion (or 75, or 100, or whatever), and there's a brilliant book (and app, and website), called Carbs and Cals, which gives pictorial representations of different portion sizes for all sorts of foods. And decent electronic scales are a must!

It must seem bewildering in these early days. I was 11 and a half when I was diagnosed - EXACTLY 31 YEARS AGO TODAY! - and I remember my mum weighing everything. The recipe books she handwrote recipes in she still uses today, and the working-out of how much carbohydrate in each portion of homemade lasagne, shepherd's pie, Yorkshire pudding, rhubarb fool....... well, it's all there!

Back then (1986) there was no such thing as DAFNE (dose adjustment for normal eating) and I was on fixed doses of insulin at fixed times for a fixed amount of carbohydrate, with no leeway allowed! I don't know if your son is on MDI yet (multiple daily injections) but when I first started on MDI it was a huge relief as it offered more flexibility. Eventually (aged over 30!) I finally did the DAFNE course, which introduced me to insulin/carb ratios, and after a bit of faffing to work out what worked for me - with testing all the way - it became a great deal easier.

Take one day at a time. It's a process, a learning curve. And your new friends on this forum will help you to find the way.

Hugs!

Love Snapsy
:)

Reactions: Brunneria

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @Sammiejr83 ,

Welcome to the forum..
I was a T1 child once... Though diagnosed a couple of years younger than your son. (Youngest & smallest in my year too!)

I highlighted in red regarding what stands out for me in your post. (Quoted above.)

If you mean your son's bolus dosage for the carbs he eats?
It might not be the case of you actually getting the carb count wrong.
He could be in the "honeymoon" period & still spasmodically producing his own insulin from time to time, causing the lows?

Of course this will settle as the pancreas ceases putting out insulin all together...

Tagging in @daisy1 @mahola