Need to stop weight loss

Topsec

My hubby started LCHF back in Feb and has got his BG's down to a good level. He has lost about 1-5 - 2 stone as a result of this which to start with was good but we are now a bit concerned that it is still coming off (albeit a lot slower now) and he is getting too thin.

I am giving him high fat stuff, lots of butter and cream and frying stuff, he is eating lots of nuts and cheese.

I wondered what those protein shakes are like? Could I give him one of those daily to arrest the loss? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

I have had the same problem but I seem to have arrested the loss for now, though it did have me worried for a while. I've tried protein shakes but they are expensive and the ones I can get locally seem to have carbs in them (and then you have to add milk).

Lots of nuts and cheese is what I'd have suggested but you've already found that. All I can say is that I worried about it but it finally stopped.

paragliderpete

Hi I use protien shakes every day. It's the only thing I can have in the morning that does not raise my bm's. You need to take care with the one you use as some are quite high in carbs. I mix mine with water . Total of 2.8g carbs per drink and 100cals.
Can be difficult increasing wgt . Just make sure you keep to around 1gram of protien per kg of ideal wgt, and increase the calories by fat intake until everything stabalises.
If his bm's are ok, you could try cutting down on exercise a bit.

best of luck

A

Anonymous

Pete, which protein shakes are you using? I bought the unsweetened spiru-teen and it's 5g of carb per serving. Is yours less?

paragliderpete

hi Swimmer.
I use optimum Nutrition, gold standard whey which is 2.3g carb per serving. You can buy direct online where they do a great range of flavours. alterantively you can get the strawberry or choc flavours from tesco. Not the cheapest but the lowest carb per serving.

I also use USN which works out at 2.8g per serving. I get this from costco, but the only do strawberry.

Hope this is of some use to you

paragliderpete

Hi again Swimmer. Just a thought for you . My partner jean makes a smoothy out of her whey shake by adding 6 ice cubes and a hand full of spinach. Looks disgusting, like swamp slime , but it does taste much better. You do need a powerful food processor to handle the mix