1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Neem

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Lemonie, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Lemonie

Lemonie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was told about neem for diabetes T2 and have just bought some neem oil for the allotment. All the info I have read is about using the leaves which I can't get but can you somehow use the oil instead?

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

What's it supposed to do.? I thought it was a bug killer..

3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi, did you mean the neem from Azadirachta indica?

Googling throws up some bold claims. But also throws up some dodgy side effects when consumed?

Where did you get your info??

4. Lemonie

Lemonie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Somebody mentioned it in a group and I googled. I thought it was worth a try as I have some. There have been some scientific studies as well but I only scanned them so don't know how valid they are.

5. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, it may help if you're a diabetic rabbit or rat? (Those seem to be the scientific studies.)

In my personal opinion, an issue with non prescription drugs for diabetes is that if they have a medical effect then they need testing for efficacy and safety, and if they don't work, why bother? In particular, if they have similar ingredients/actions to prescription drugs then you need to know how much to safely take and what side effects to look out for.

An interesting warning from the FDA here
    Beware of Illegally Marketed Diabetes Treatments | FDA

I realise you haven't bought your neem from a dodgy diabetes cure site, but the same principles of knowing what you are taking apply.

And in particular, knowing how much you are taking applies, as studies on neem leaves are not the same as neem oil.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. garrythegardener

garrythegardener Prefer not to say · Newbie

Well, neem can be used pretty much everywhere and one of its uses is in the plant where it is used to protect the plant from unwanted insects and pests. I will leave a link below so that it helps everyone to understand how neem powder works for plant protection. Thanks, here's the link to Neem powder.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. garrythegardener

garrythegardener Prefer not to say · Newbie

I tried to provide the link of neem powder but it says it's a spam activity so I'll try another time. Let's see how it goes this time.

8. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum @garrythegardener
    Thanks for the info, very useful. I think you will have to get a few more posts under your belt before you can post any links.
    We used to get lots of spammers so that was one of the measures they introduced to limit them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook