Negative GD result but high self testing

KatSmit

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I am currently 26 weeks pregnant. I had GD in my previous pregnancy and diagnosed at 28 weeks. I had a test at 16 weeks for my current pregnancy and it came back negative, i have been getting GD symptoms so I started to self monitor at home and have had some high readings. I discussed with my midwife who then booked me in for a glucose test at 26 weeks, I recently received my results which have come back as negative for GD and it came back low (i don't have the specific numbers). Why would my results come back ok but my readings are high (sample of my readings so far this week)
*GD Test day
Before Breakfast 5.2 5.3 5.3 *8.3 5.4
After 8.4 5.1 8.9 *8.4 6.7
Before Lunch 5.6 4.9 6.2 *6.1
After 6.9 7.3 6.4 *7.9
Before evening Meal 5.8 5.7 5.8 *5.7
After 7.4 5.8 5.9 *7.2

My readings this week have been better due to changing my eating habits but feel i am still getting higher readings on my fasting numbers. Last week they were higher at fasting and after food.
Are these numbers normal?
I am seeing my consultant next week due to my numbers and the symptoms i have been having, I am happy that the GD test has come back ok but i am worried about my self testing numbers, I really struggled with GD in my last pregnancy so want to make sure that i have these under control sooner rather than later.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @KatSmit and welcome to the DCUK forums.
Can you clarify those readings?

Are they the result of taking multiple readings at the same time? What does the * mean?

(Glucometes aren't 100% accurate so I'd be tempted to ignore outlier readings.)

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I am currently 26 weeks pregnant. I had GD in my previous pregnancy and diagnosed at 28 weeks. I had a test at 16 weeks for my current pregnancy and it came back negative, i have been getting GD symptoms so I started to self monitor at home and have had some high readings. I discussed with my midwife who then booked me in for a glucose test at 26 weeks, I recently received my results which have come back as negative for GD and it came back low (i don't have the specific numbers). Why would my results come back ok but my readings are high (sample of my readings so far this week)
*GD Test day
Before Breakfast 5.2 5.3 5.3 *8.3 5.4
After 8.4 5.1 8.9 *8.4 6.7
Before Lunch 5.6 4.9 6.2 *6.1
After 6.9 7.3 6.4 *7.9
Before evening Meal 5.8 5.7 5.8 *5.7
After 7.4 5.8 5.9 *7.2

My readings this week have been better due to changing my eating habits but feel i am still getting higher readings on my fasting numbers. Last week they were higher at fasting and after food.
Are these numbers normal?
I am seeing my consultant next week due to my numbers and the symptoms i have been having, I am happy that the GD test has come back ok but i am worried about my self testing numbers, I really struggled with GD in my last pregnancy so want to make sure that i have these under control sooner rather than later.
I think that you just ought to trust the consultant and nurses, follow their advice, and not to worry.

KatSmit

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @KatSmit and welcome to the DCUK forums.
Can you clarify those readings?

Are they the result of taking multiple readings at the same time? What does the * mean?

(Glucometes aren't 100% accurate so I'd be tempted to ignore outlier readings.)
These readings are from this week (formatting changed once i posted)
Before Breakfast/After breakfast
5.2-8.4
5.3-5.1
5.3-8.9
8.3-8.4 * GD test day
Before lunch/after lunch
5.6-6.9
4.9-7.3
6.2-6.4
6.1-7.9 *
Before evening meal/after meal
5.8-7.4
5.7-5.8
5.8-5.9
5.7-7.2*
* refers to my GD test day hence why the higher readings.
As stated these readings are better then my readings from previous week due to change of diet.
I was only concerned as my midwife reviewed my previous readings and thought i had GD especially due to having symptoms. I have a meeting with my consultant anyway but just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts why my readings might be higher.

mouseee

If I understand the numbers, the high fasting ones were before you went for the test. Stress may have been an issue then as you were probably worried about it particularly if the same thing happened last time and that pushes up bg.
The remaining numbers are all within normal tolerance bar a couple and there doesn't appear to be a spike after eating assuming they were done 2 hours after.
Speak to your midwife and make sure you feel confident in them. I completely get your worry and if you're making healthier eating choice for whatever reason that can only help you and baby.