Nerve Conduction Tests

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been suffering from leg and foot pains for a few months now. After pestering the GP many times a referral went in for Nerve Conduction Tests. I will be attending the hospital in 2 weeks for these tests.

Has anyone experienced these tests?
What can I expect and roughly how long will I have to wait to receive the results.?

Many thanks

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had Nerve Conduction tests about 4 or 5 yesrs ago. I was at the hospital for around an hour and a half. A doctor (who was doing research of some sort) asked me to lie/sit on a trolley type thing. My back was supported, so I was quite comfortable. After a short conversation about the pain I had been experiencing in my hand, he attached electrodes to my arm in different places. He explained he would pass an electrical current through them. If just felt as if my arm had received a terrific whack or jolt, coming from no particular place, but was not actually painful. He then repeated the test on one of my legs. He said this was for comparison. The feeling was similar. I was told that people's reactions vary quite a lot.

The doctor was young and quite chatty and told me he couldn't see any problem but that the results would be sent to whoever requested the tests, in my case an Orthopaedic consultant I was seeing over arthritis in my hands. I got the results officially at my next appointment in the Orthopaedic dept. If your results are going to a GP, you might get them sooner.

I've had more pleasant experiences - but it was nothing to be worried about.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Much the same, although I only really experienced mild tingling. Mind you my carpal tunnel nerve entrapment was quite severe, and on one hand he couldn’t get any conduction at all! Perhaps the response is more pronounced if the nerve is actually conductive?

But really, not anything to stress about and soon enough over and done with.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok thanks for your reply. Problems in both legs and feet so guess I will be there for 60+ mins. Impressed they are seeing me so quick. Hopefully get some answers quicker.

Reactions: TashT1

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At least they should have some more ideas after the tests. Hope you get an answer, kvetiny.

Reactions: kvetiny

Skippy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I had the electric current tests on both of my wrists/arms at different times and have since had a carpal tunnel operation on one. The tests are uncomfortable, as you become tense waiting for the shocks and just want them to stop happening. For me, they felt like those 'joke' handshake buzzers! The operation got rid of the constant, draining, tingling pain in my hands, so well worth bit of discomfort.