Type 1 Nerve Pain, feet issues at 19?

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so as I’ve said before, I have had poor control over my blood glucose throughout adolescence and I have nobody to blame but myself for this, in the past 8 months I have gotten my blood glucose much more under control, and although I still have spikes in my sugar they are nowhere near as common as my body used to just run on pure high blood sugar, scary I know and how I escaped ketones is bizarre.

Now the question is, will the effects I’ve experienced since controlling my blood sugar be with me for life, or will they get better with maintained control? I have the worst eye problems at the moment, however a thorough eye examination has revealed I have nothing more serious than maculopathy, the stage before retinopathy, which really surprised me and I was told the drop in blood glucose was causing my eye issues and they could persist for some time.

However I’ve had problems walking, I get pins and needles a lot and my feet are very cold, my arms tire really easily etc.

I went to a nurse for a foot examination and she was absolutely satisfied the pulse in my foot was strong and I felt all of the vibrations and pokes she administered on my foot immediately, so she isn’t worried in the slightest..

So my real question is, how can I stop these pains? Will controlled blood sugar really help me overcome this or am I stuck with these issues for life? :(

Thank you in advance

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you’ve been poorly controlled, there’s a little discussed side effect of sudden good control which is the effects that you’ve described.

The good news is that according to the research, these do seem to improve with time, but you’ll need to try and maintain relatively steady glucose levels and not have them rollercoastering.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now the question is, will the effects I’ve experienced since controlling my blood sugar be with me for life, or will they get better with maintained control?
You should absolutely read Dr Bernstein's account of how he was able to reverse many long established complications which were due to his T1 diabetes. You can read his account here:
http://www.diabetes-book.com/bernstein-life-with-diabetes/
but IMO you would do well to buy his book "Diabetes Solution". It is absolutely classic and very practical. In particular he is an acknowledged expert on the management of insulin. When you see his photo or watch one of his many free videos, you may think, "This is an old man and I am a young one", but don't let that put you off. Dr Bernstein was diagnosed at 11 with T1, and for years was told to eat a diet that was the opposite of what was needed. He was the first lay person to use a bg monitor and he discovered low carb for himself (and us!) By the time he had got his diet sorted out he had developed terrible complications including kidney damage, and yet he has been able to reverse most of the damage and has survived to the age of 83 in fine fettle, as you can see in his videos, or you can hear him every month answering questions sent in by listeners.

In his book he explains in detail about complications of high bg and what you may expect to happen when you lower it.

Try not to feel bad about going off the rails healthwise during adolescence. Having a restrictive chronic health problem from childhood usually provokes this totally natural response. I wasn't a diabetic teenager, but if I had been less rebellious, had heeded good advice and behaved more sensibly in the past (and not just in adolescence but later on too!) I would certainly nowadays have better teeth, a straighter back, nicer skin, more money etc etc. That's just life!

Good luck!

Reactions: samowen268

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should absolutely read Dr Bernstein's account of how he was able to reverse many long established complications which were due to his T1 diabetes. You can read his account here:
http://www.diabetes-book.com/bernstein-life-with-diabetes/
but IMO you would do well to buy his book "Diabetes Solution". It is absolutely classic and very practical. In particular he is an acknowledged expert on the management of insulin. When you see his photo or watch one of his many free videos, you may think, "This is an old man and I am a young one", but don't let that put you off. Dr Bernstein was diagnosed at 11 with T1, and for years was told to eat a diet that was the opposite of what was needed. He was the first lay person to use a bg monitor and he discovered low carb for himself (and us!) By the time he had got his diet sorted out he had developed terrible complications including kidney damage, and yet he has been able to reverse most of the damage and has survived to the age of 83 in fine fettle, as you can see in his videos, or you can hear him every month answering questions sent in by listeners.

In his book he explains in detail about complications of high bg and what you may expect to happen when you lower it.

Try not to feel bad about going off the rails healthwise during adolescence. Having a restrictive chronic health problem from childhood usually provokes this totally natural response. I wasn't a diabetic teenager, but if I had been less rebellious, had heeded good advice and behaved more sensibly in the past (and not just in adolescence but later on too!) I would certainly nowadays have better teeth, a straighter back, nicer skin, more money etc etc. That's just life!

Good luck!

Thankyou for this, it has helped tremendously and I will absolutely be looking into this!!

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you come across this: https://brightspotsandlandmines.org ? By another young man this time.

I haven’t come across this either, thank u for your help!

I was also wondering if you knew of any medications that can make the pain of nerve damage go away, I feel that with my bloods under control this will help massively but I’m still getting pains in my arms and legs that come back every so often, is there a good way of dealing with this? Thank u for your help x

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was also wondering if you knew of any medications that can make the pain of nerve damage go away
I can really sympathise with your pain, as in the past I used to go mountaineering in winter and sometimes my hands would go numb with cold. When they were thawed back to life, the pain was atrocious. We used to call it the "hot aches" and when it struck I remember doubling over and hardly knowing where to put myself.

Personally, I don't know of anything other than the normal painkillers, sorry! But it might help a bit to remind yourself that these pains are signs of healing and that this is a stage you have to go through on the way back to normal life and health. Numbness is not painful, but it is a symptom of dying nerves. Unfortunately, the process of nerves coming back to life is known to hurt. But it won't hurt forever. I notice you say the pains come back every so often. That sounds as if there are already times without pain?

I haven't experienced diabetic nerve pain, but I'm guessing that getting the circulation going as much as possible by exercise and massage might help the recovery process?

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can really sympathise with your pain, as in the past I used to go mountaineering in winter and sometimes my hands would go numb with cold. When they were thawed back to life, the pain was atrocious. We used to call it the "hot aches" and when it struck I remember doubling over and hardly knowing where to put myself.

Personally, I don't know of anything other than the normal painkillers, sorry! But it might help a bit to remind yourself that these pains are signs of healing and that this is a stage you have to go through on the way back to normal life and health. Numbness is not painful, but it is a symptom of dying nerves. Unfortunately, the process of nerves coming back to life is known to hurt. But it won't hurt forever. I notice you say the pains come back every so often. That sounds as if there are already times without pain?

I haven't experienced diabetic nerve pain, but I'm guessing that getting the circulation going as much as possible by exercise and massage might help the recovery process?

there have definitely been times without pain, there are times I don’t even notice it and my vision has days where it feels good again now!

but I’m definitely still having days where I feel like there isn’t any circulation in my arms/legs, it’s more
Irritating than anything, for about a week I’ll feel like I can’t walk anywhere and then I’ll feel great for a month and it comes back, just hoping controlled bloods are going to save me, I am on magnesium and other vitamins too as I already suffer from Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue so I guess that doesn’t help either ! Thank you very much again for your help

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
there have definitely been times without pain, there are times I don’t even notice it and my vision has days where it feels good again now!

but I’m definitely still having days where I feel like there isn’t any circulation in my arms/legs, it’s more
Irritating than anything, for about a week I’ll feel like I can’t walk anywhere and then I’ll feel great for a month and it comes back, just hoping controlled bloods are going to save me, I am on magnesium and other vitamins too as I already suffer from Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue so I guess that doesn’t help either ! Thank you very much again for your help
I am absolutely no expert, but I have read around a lot - on this Forum and in the writings of Jenny Ruhl and Dr Bernstein, two highly reputable and respected writers on this subject who are also themselves long term diabetics. I am absolutely convinced that as long as you can keep on making the huge effort to keep your bg low and stable, it is not at all too late, you are going to be fine. One day you will say to yourself, "Oh, I haven't had those pains for over a month now!" and that nasty episode in your life will be behind you.

Yes, your chronic fatigue must make everything harder. IMO it is very important to hold onto your optimism and belief in your capacity to manage diabetes and have a better future. Worry and pessimism makes everything worse and undermines our energy.

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am absolutely no expert, but I have read around a lot - on this Forum and in the writings of Jenny Ruhl and Dr Bernstein, two highly reputable and respected writers on this subject who are also themselves long term diabetics. I am absolutely convinced that as long as you can keep on making the huge effort to keep your bg low and stable, it is not at all too late, you are going to be fine. One day you will say to yourself, "Oh, I haven't had those pains for over a month now!" and that nasty episode in your life will be behind you.

Yes, your chronic fatigue must make everything harder. IMO it is very important to hold onto your optimism and belief in your capacity to manage diabetes and have a better future. Worry and pessimism makes everything worse and undermines our energy.

Yeah I agree completely, having chronic fatigue has made me take a step back and therefore I’ve been quite inactive
For a few months, although this probably hasn’t done wonders for my circulation, I think it has helped me regularly monitor my bloods so I’m thankful in a sense!!

I hope that happens, thank u again x