1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Nesd help with R ALA

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Matteo1980, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Matteo1980

Matteo1980 · Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! I am having a very annoying peripheral neuropathy. I was trying different medications,including painkillers and antidepressants. None of them took any effect on the night time pain. I have sleepless nights since 5 months or so. Cannot cope with it lol. I was reading quite a lot of positive feedback from R ALA, so I would give that a go. Could somebody share me where is it possible to buy from? I mean the real one,high quality one. Also,if you have tried,what is your experience? Thanks all!

2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Matteo1980

Thanks a lot for sharing!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Hug Hug x 1
  5. SimonCrox

SimonCrox · Well-Known Member

That is really useful; I will also give it a go.

RCT evidence is that some people find it helpful, which I would never have looked at if you hadn't posted - thanks.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14984445
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17065669/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2836194/

best wishes

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bluetit1802

It is used in large doses via intravenous methods on the Continent for people with very severe neuropathy, but these are huge doses compared with the tablets. I can't see them doing this if it didn't work.

It definitely works for me, although my foot neuropathy isn't at all connected to diabetes. It was a side effect of chemotherapy over 5 years ago. It got rid of mine completely so I stopped taking it. After about 3 months it came back, so I am taking it again. All I have is one 100mg tablet of the double strength R-ALA once a day.

I hope it works for you.

7. Juicetin

Juicetin Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

The cost of R-ALA has been steadily increasing in the UK over this year, presumably due to import exchange rates. The brand I buy, Life Extension, is now £26 a pot. Recently I balked at this and in protest I stopped buying it and started taking the mix s/r-ala as it is so much cheaper. Whilst my wallet has appreciated the change , my feet certainly haven't and my neuropathy is noticeably worse.
    So I can deduce from this that the stated extra bio-efficiency of the pure "r" product is quite correct and i'm going to have to bite the bullet and get back on it.

8. Bluetit1802

The Swansons double strength, as shown in my links above, is around £18, cheaper if you buy more than one bottle.

9. Matteo1980

Is that 300mg above from Swanson?

10. Bluetit1802

I buy the 100g double strength from Swanson. I take one tablet a day. You are allowed to take 2 tablets.

11. Matteo1980

How long do you take it and how much do you find it works?

12. Bluetit1802

I mentioned in an earlier post that it works extremely well for me. So well that last December I stopped taking it. A couple of months later it came back, so I started taking it again and it is working.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Matteo1980

Thanks!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook