Net carbs

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I have just started a LCHF diet, so I am learning a lot of new things. One thing I find difficult is references to "net carbs".
I understand that net carbs is total carbs less fibre, but on a lot of nutrition labels fibre is greater than total carbs.
I have seen advice not to touch any product that mentions net carbs, but I have also read books that say this is what should be used.
Is this a USA thing? ie, are their nutrition labels different to ours?
My current problem is sorting out nutrition data for bread. Livlife gives total carbs as 14.6g/100g and fibre as 8.3g/100g, whereas Carbzone gives total carbs as 7.5g/100g and fibre as 14g/100g. Obviously the Carbzone carbs don't include the fibre, but I have seen references to Livlife as having net carbs of 6.3g/100g. It is difficult to understand the incredible differences between what are very similar products.
What I really need is an authoritative source for nutrition information, as the packaging labels are not always helpful. I use Fat Secret when in doubt, but they don't cover everything..
Can anyone help, please?

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@BrianTheElder Net carbs is a US thing. Just use total carbs :)

I can't answer about the breads as I don't eat either of those, but hopefully someone who does can help soon.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, in the USA the labels are different. The fibre is included in the total carbs.

In the UK the fibre is not included in the carbs and is listed separately.

Look for "total carbohydrate" in the UK.