Net Carbs ?

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I try currently to keep my carbs according to cronometer to 130g a day or just over that amount. I have just saw its around 110g net carbs , what does this mean for the low carb thing ? is that 110g im really counting? I dont understand it at this point lol ;) I will try to keep the total carbs closer to the 100g mark soon

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the UK any fibre in the carbs is deducted before the carb amount is counted. This is net carbs. In the USA (where many nutrition websites come from) the carb amount includes the fibre, so the amount of fibre has to be deducted before counting the carbs.

Reactions: coleyd

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for the reply. So I would say I am on 110g carbs a day instead of 130g, that sort of thing ?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - the net carbs are the ones which impact on blood glucose.
I find that some UK low carbers do not eat some high fiber foods because they are too high in carbs when the fiber is counted.
I got thrown off a diabetes list for arguing about net carbs versus total and pointing out that the blood glucose levels I was advised to reduce to would make it illegal to drive.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
and pointing out that the blood glucose levels I was advised to reduce to would make it illegal to drive.

Only if you are taking drugs (including insulin) that create a high risk of a hypo that is bad enough to affect driving.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thanks guys its great that I was eating less carbs than I thought :)