Neuropathy help

maryrachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Beetroot
Afternoon. Need some recommendations please. Can anyone recommend decent diabetic socks to aid neuropathy symptoms in feet? Slippers and shoes too if you have good experience? Type 1 diabetic for 35 years well controlled but now suffering from itchy burning sore feet and its doing my head in :inpain::)

if anyone can recommend creams or lotions that ease it too that would be great. For now I want to avoid medication/pain killers.

Don't need advice on managing blood sugars as low carb and no issues here i cant handle but 35 years takes its toll regardless.

Thank you all in advance

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi maryrachel

I wear gentle grip socks - they do what they say - comfortable and durable but not over-elasticated or tight. I don't know what they'll do for neuropathy - mine had gone when I started using the socks, because of some residual oedema. I know other people on previous simialr threads have endorsed gentle grip too.

maryrachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Beetroot
Thanks Kenny. Are they made of cotton? And do they slip down? I live on a farm and spend a lot of time in wellies

Reactions: jpscloud

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Thanks Kenny. Are they made of cotton? And do they slip down? I live on a farm and spend a lot of time in wellies
I have worn them in the past just for comfort and I can confirm that they don't slip down. Worth trying to find out.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They don't, if your shoes fit. I have a pair of dealer boot DMs I bought when I was a shoe size or so bigger and the socks slip down when walking. They don't slip in my wellies, though, because my wellies fit.

I need to try wearing two pairs with the DMs.

The ones I buy are 75% cotton, 16% polyester, and 2% elastane.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
here's their website

I buy mine from a discount outlet (Boundary Mill) near me - they're always in stock and there's always an offer on.

BobbyNew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
My wife ordered me some neuropathy socks of Amazon, she saw them advertised on a diabetic site, and at first thought twice, if it was just a gimmick. But,she ordered me some and I can honestly say they do exactly what they say, I have had some brilliant nights sleep...
Also my wife advised me to rub Vicks menthol into my feet, she's used it for years for aches & pains, but rubbing it in the soles of feet, it's like following reflexology, again, it's worked for me. I rub in and just put my slippers on, and I've found it helps during the day...
I will say everyone's different, but the socks for a good night sleep is a definate

Chicken82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Afternoon. Need some recommendations please. Can anyone recommend decent diabetic socks to aid neuropathy symptoms in feet? Slippers and shoes too if you have good experience? Type 1 diabetic for 35 years well controlled but now suffering from itchy burning sore feet and its doing my head in :inpain::)

if anyone can recommend creams or lotions that ease it too that would be great. For now I want to avoid medication/pain killers.

Don't need advice on managing blood sugars as low carb and no issues here i cant handle but 35 years takes its toll regardless.

Thank you all in advance
Hey, I have the same issue. 32 years diabetic and neuropathy started. My pain is so bad at night that I’m getting medical marijuana now. If it comes to shoes I only wear trainers that are made of material, like a sock with sole. Anything else is pretty restrictive.
I use foot massager and mat for grounding and that helps

katebrady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Thank you all in advance

I occasionally use Vics or a magnesium spray: don’t always work and like you type 1 for 40 so now getting some long term side effects. I have beautiful purple leather boots they look like DMs made for me via the high risk diabetic podiatry department plus slippers. They have insoles specially made for me (I do have scleroderma that causes a few problems). You are entitled to self refer and the area I’m in you are entitled to two pairs of shoes made for you. My boots are waterproof and the second pair I’ve had: love them and they do help with my walking. Been told no way should I wear wellies because of the slipping around in them lol. Your podiatry dept may be able to advise on any footwear they can provide. I have been prescribed Duloxetine 30 mg but like you I don’t want to take pills ( pharmacy pointed out that these are used for depression and issues coming of them if taken for a while). I recently had to take them for three days to settle the pain but that was it. They don’t seem to work quickly and with me at least two days to reduce any of the pain, Not nice at all and if anyone else can advise on anything else I’d love to know. I wax trainer socks will padded soles and heels from Amazon it loose fitting cotton socks. X

Haggis1411

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I have been Type 1 for 44yrs and now aged 46 I am also suffering with Peripheral neuropathy and the pain is getting y bearable.
I’m on nortriptyline which makes me very sleepy but it’s now barely working.
I do lots of walking in my job and any other recommendations would be greatly apreciated.
I woke up 6 days ago with unbearable pain in my groin, spreading down my leg. I haven’t torn anything and the pain is still there, especially sitting and trying to stand up. Could neuropathy affect the groin?
Or possibly the femoral artery getting blocked with plaque formation after yrs of high sugar levels… had carpal tunnel surgery but the pain is back 2 fold and my fingers keep locking.
Sorry for the moan, any helpful recommendations gratefully apreciated.
John

Thank you all in advance

bryanfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude/ignorant people and those who don't clean up after their dogs no fun gettng poo stuck in wheelchair hels
Hi I have been struggling with neuropathy for last 12 months or more, been using hemp rescue balm cream does help slightly although have other problems cerebral palsy, high blood pressure
psoriosis psoriatic arthritis osteoarthritis really painful leg spasms take highest dose available of BACLOFEN 90 mg daily on waiting list for BACLOFEN pump surgery. Just really tired can’t keep warm taking iron tablets for anemia really upsetting my bowels

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I woke up 6 days ago with unbearable pain in my groin, spreading down my leg. I haven’t torn anything and the pain is still there, especially sitting and trying to stand up. Could neuropathy affect the groin?
Or possibly the femoral artery getting blocked with plaque formation after yrs of high sugar levels… had carpal tunnel surgery but the pain is back 2 fold and my fingers keep locking.
Sorry for the moan, any helpful recommendations gratefully apreciated.
Have you spoken to your doctor about this new pain?
I think this would be the only useful recommendation anyone can give.
Hope it resolves soon!

mickymart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was given a pair of Hapla base orthotic insoles and purchased these for all my footwear (Amazon) and now use permanent for walking and work.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

Appletree21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, like many of us I have been suffering with neuropathy in my feet for about 25years. It drives me mad at night. Usually I am forced to get up and walk round which helps a little bit sometimes, like another poster on here, I have also tried rubbing Vick on my feet before I go to bed. Again this only helps a little. I am afraid that I don't have a solution to this awful soul destroying ailment. There are are so many of us suffering with this problem you would think that there was something out there which really does help. If only...... ( just thought I would mention that my diabetes is genetic and is better known as Hypoglycaemia in other European countries). Thanks

• Hug

Pup365

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I am 44 and have been diabetic for 37 years and like some, the control or lack of has caught up with me. I suffer with Neuropathy in feet and legs and thought it was also in my rib cage but nobody has ever heard of Neuropathy in that area so no idea what that could be. A very negligent doctor thought it was a good idea to give me Morphine which has almost ruined my life but I'm currently on a reduction plan by choice as I have been massively addicted to it for 3 years and treated like dirt by the NHS and my diabetes clinic but that's another story. I currently take Gabapentin 1000-1300mg and 50ml Amitriptyline in the evening which ensures that you have a sound night's sleep in my case anyway and I would recommend both for pain if not tried before

Haggis, I had exactly the same problem with pain and locking in my fingers as you describe. I don't know if you have already tried this but I had steroid injections into my hands and it was an absolute godsend! 2 days after the injections the pain and locking was completely gone. It's starting to return but I'm already on a list for more at my gp surgery. I really hope this will help.

thaddydv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good day fellow Peripheral Neuropathy sufferers
I luckily don’t have any pain and have a very good nights sleep I’ve had type 2 for about 30 years now .
Firstly the biggest assist for neuropathy is to get your b/s down and keep it down which is my problem struggling to keep b/s down but trying all the time Quickest way is Intermittent fasting but I’ll only do it for a day so after a few days my b/s back up
Since I found out I had Neuropathy I’ve tried a few things
.1)R Alpha Lipoic acid Took all the tabs but no change to condition
2) Bought a Lifepro Vibrator Plate This has helped especially if my feet feel really numb and burning 30mins of my feet on the vibrator for 30mins brings great relief for a while
3) walking every day for 5miles Not much relief but do it as it’s good exercise
4) Vivo Barefoot shoes Totally different experience when walking but no improvement in condition

I find no medical practitioner assistance Big advice they say is get blood sugar down

• Hug
Reactions: jjraak and Lainie71

thaddydv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Forgot to add re socks
I’ve bought merino wool
Socks from Blacks Have been wearing them for over 2 months now Don’t find any difference

• Informative