Type 2 neuropathy in feet

TallRod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have neuropathy in my feet. How can I get more feeling back in my feet and heal the nerves in my feet?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi TallRod and welcome to the forums

I had quite severe neuropathy starting around ten years ago - stabbing pains, pins and needles, numbness, burning feet, that sort of thing. My HbA1c would have been around 43 or 44 when it started.

It was much worse at night. It's caused by high blood sugar levels in your body attacking the coverings of nerves. The longer the nerves, the more likely they are to be damaged so it's often the feet that are affected first. The Handbook of Diabetes by Bilous and Donnelly, which is the current NHS textbook, isn't really very helpful for those of us with neuropathy - there aren't any medications that work dependably. That said, that's the NHS medication approach.

I found that after reducing my BG to normal levels it cleared up my neuropathy very quickly - it had gone in a few weeks. I no longer have the pain or burning. I do have a residual slight tingle in both feet that's probably permanent damage (over four years now) but which isn't pain and is barely noticeable most of the time.

Reactions: Jasmin2000