Neuropathy Progressing Fast

danyparc

I was diagnosed T2 in March. Tingling in feet quickly progressed to pain & numbness below the ankle.

Consulted a neurologist and decided to take Gabapentin, because SSRI's gave horrible side effects.

Since then I progressed to the max dose of Gabapentin, and the neuropathy is now below the knee, and numbness starting in the hands.

The shock news I had from the neurologist today was that there is no credible evidence that tight glycemic control will halt the progression.

Anyone else got simila experiences?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Although there may be no good evidence that you can halt the condition equally there may be no evidence that you can't if you lower your blood sugar. If it was me I would ensure my blood sugar was under good control and just hope that I was slowing the degradation. After all it won't do any harm.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

It was the signs of neuropathy that helped me find this forum, so I'm interested in this too.

How have you been since diagnosis? In terms of weight, exercise and blood levels?

I have been low carb(ish) since August. Lost weight, been more active etc and my symptoms improved 50% or more. I am hoping that further weight loss will make more improvements.

I feel better, should have brought my head out of the sand years ago.

Cara

Carbdodger

Hello Dany
At diagnosis I had neuropathy. Switched to a low carb diet (30 g a day) and within days pains disappeared. Now symptom free.
Have you tried v low carb?
Cd

Hopeful Alfie

I have proximal neuropathy which has been developing over 10-12 years, although my Type 2 was not diagnosed until 5 years ago. I now have to use a walking stick and must pause every 100-200 yards to allow the built-up pain to go away before setting off again. The pain is worst in the buttock areas but goes down to the feet, the left leg being the most affected. My BG control is good with a varied diet only, and I am quite active although about a kilo overweight. My GP and I both feel that the condition is "here to stay", as medications have side effects and are not very efficient anyway. I take the occasional paracetamol for long walks and tell myself that it helps. However, the pain occurs only when I walk, and I have come to terms with the thought that it IS here to stay. Otherwise I am enjoying life and at 84 so glad to be still on the planet.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
danyparc said:
The shock news I had from the neurologist today was that there is no credible evidence that tight glycemic control will halt the progression.
Your neurologist may mean there is no credible evidence when you tighten glycaemic control with drugs. There was a big study that showed this, I can't remember what it was called. But they didn't look at control with diet. So his shocker may not apply to you.

I had tingling and burning feet that disappeared over a few months on a low carb ( maximum 75g) diet.