Neuropathy questions.

pinkbeckyann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!, high sugar levels, low sugar levels, people who think they are diabetes experts when they have no clue!
I had pins and needles and numbness in my legs and feet too. I get shooting pains and my legs spasm. I have to sleep with a pillow between my legs because it hurts to have one leg on top of the other!

I went to the Doctors and they told me straight away that i had peripheral neuropathy. They gave me tablets and thats it. I would really like a test to see what is actually happening as im only 25!

I have a circulation booster which i find helps, and don't get in a really hot bath or use a hot water bottle on them as they can burn quickly and you may not notice. I know this doesn't really answer your question, but hope it helped abit :)

H

Hooked

pinkbeckyann said:
I had pins and needles and numbness in my legs and feet too. I get shooting pains and my legs spasm. I have to sleep with a pillow between my legs because it hurts to have one leg on top of the other!

I went to the Doctors and they told me straight away that i had peripheral neuropathy. They gave me tablets and thats it. I would really like a test to see what is actually happening as im only 25!

I have a circulation booster which i find helps, and don't get in a really hot bath or use a hot water bottle on them as they can burn quickly and you may not notice. I know this doesn't really answer your question, but hope it helped abit :)

Thanks. I also get a lot of muscle cramps in my calves and shin splints. Not sure if it's related or not to neuropathy. I have noticed over the last number of months when getting bloods taken (which is difficult given my fine veins) that when they do get a good vein the blood comes out very slowly.

I think I'll try to get an appointment with the GP to discuss as I'm at a loss as it what this diagnoses means for me.

kman

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Knowing others Won't learn from my mistakes, Being TERMINALLY ILL !
Hooked I have sent you a short PM.

desidiabulum

Have they tested you for B12 deficiency? Muscle cramps in calves and shin splints can be signs of B12 deficiency, as can some types of neuropathy. The mixed diagnoses you were getting might be if your symptoms weren't those of classic diabetic neuropathy. This is what I found -- if it doesn't fit the diabetic box then it's ignored by consultants, though the NCV test proves something is badly wrong.
My problems were B12 rather than diabetes-related, which is lucky for me as it's easily treated -- I'll keep fingers crossed that it could be the same for you.
NOTE TO ANYONE READING WHO IS ON LONG-TERM METFORMIN DOSAGE: make sure you get your B12 levels checked annually, as metformin, though generally a Good Thing, has been shown to reduce B12 levels in the long term.

Unbeliever

I am amazed that they dont t' test for B12 deficiency as a matter of course but also that they do not appear to consider it as a possible cause for muscle cramps etc.
I think awareness for HCPs of the symptoms of B!2 needs raising as so many people are now likely to be on metformin for long periods - many at maximum dose.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
desidiabulum said:
Have they tested you for B12 deficiency? Muscle cramps in calves and shin splints can be signs of B12 deficiency, as can some types of neuropathy. The mixed diagnoses you were getting might be if your symptoms weren't those of classic diabetic neuropathy. This is what I found -- if it doesn't fit the diabetic box then it's ignored by consultants, though the NCV test proves something is badly wrong.
My problems were B12 rather than diabetes-related, which is lucky for me as it's easily treated -- I'll keep fingers crossed that it could be the same for you.
NOTE TO ANYONE READING WHO IS ON LONG-TERM METFORMIN DOSAGE: make sure you get your B12 levels checked annually, as metformin, though generally a Good Thing, has been shown to reduce B12 levels in the long term.

Absolutely! Definitely worth pushing your GP to test your levels-I had quite nasty symptoms when I was B12 deficient and had real trouble with restless leg syndrome as one of the many symptoms which is better now I have B12 injections at my surgery-sadly it has to be injections for me as I cannot absorb vit B12 through my diet due to Crohns disease.

Unbeliever

Probably a good idea to get tested before just attempting to supplement though don't you think Paul? I understand there are various groups who cannot absorb it very well through diet.

In any case many of those most at risk will not be aware of the symptoms.

I can't imagine that this test would be particularly expensive. I wonder why they don't do it as routine? I am sure I have seen lots of studies reommending it.

H

Hooked

desidiabulum said:

That's interesting, my b12 hasn't been tested, but my dad had problems with his levels years ago. Heading to Dr tomorrow, will ask them. Discovered my vit D levels are low though, hence me going to Dr again.

iHs

Low vit d levels can also be the cause of muscle cramps. I had the injection done and the cramp stopped so low vit d might be your problem and not b12

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JoJo67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was just wondering what EXACTLY peripheral neuropathy pains feel like. I went to my GP with burning, shooting pains, which changed location regularly, without any outward signs like swelling or redness. He immediately said: neuropathy. Went again, saw another GP, as the pain was unmanageable, this time got blood test request to check out B12 levels. Since then, the pain is now in my whole ankle, it has changed its nature (i.e. no burning or shooting but akin to sprained ankle or joint pain), so I am seeing GP again in few days as I am quite unhappy to be stuffing myself with codeine with no results whatsoever.
And finally, can neuropathy affect us at any point or is there a blood glucose level which acts as a threshold? My recent results are under 9 mmol/L

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was just wondering what EXACTLY peripheral neuropathy pains feel like. I went to my GP with burning, shooting pains, which changed location regularly, without any outward signs like swelling or redness. He immediately said: neuropathy. Went again, saw another GP, as the pain was unmanageable, this time got blood test request to check out B12 levels. Since then, the pain is now in my whole ankle, it has changed its nature (i.e. no burning or shooting but akin to sprained ankle or joint pain), so I am seeing GP again in few days as I am quite unhappy to be stuffing myself with codeine with no results whatsoever.
And finally, can neuropathy affect us at any point or is there a blood glucose level which acts as a threshold? My recent results are under 9 mmol/L

Hi Jo and welcome to the forum:)

There's some advice here from the NHS regarding Peripheral Neuropathy:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Peripheral-neuropathy/Pages/Introduction.aspx

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
For me, my classic symptoms of foot neuropathy are in direct proportion to my carb intake. The real danger of neuropathy is that it can eventually affect all of the vital organs, including the heart. The feet and hands are usually the first places that the inflammation starts.