Never had a hypo...

cyril.rayner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Any thing below 5 is a hypo for me, I get the usual symptoms, sweating, thirst, blurred eyes, but I all so see a very light blue blob surrounded with a gold band when I close my eyes, when I get that I know I've got a low hypo, I always have a bottle of Lucazade and some jelly baby's ready were ever I go.

CompoT1DM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The Lowest I have been is when I was very tired and injected twice a couple of years ago and woke up to see 4 Paramedics around me, to say that my bloods were unreadable and if my partner didn't call the Ambulance services I would not be writing this. Moral of this Story keep a check on when you inject and at what time as I went straight to bed after injecting,
Keep Well

Janetoby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had T1 for over 40 years, and have had many, many hypos in that time. I have found that each time my insulin type changes, my hypo symptoms change too, and it all needs to be relearnt. My biggest problem has probably been over compensating for a hypo, and over eating. With recent changes to my insulin regime, I have been trying to learn what will get me out of trouble enough to eat something proper. If my BSL is around 3, roughly 3 jelly beans will get me ok enough to eat something else, closer to 2 at least 7 jellybeans are needed. For me 3.5 jelly beans equals 1 exchange. I NEVER go for a walk or anything without some emergency much loved chocolate bar with me, and I have a few of them in spots around the house. My preference is for 'Crunchy' bars, chocolate over honeycomb, or a 'Summer Roll', chocolate and coconut over nougat. I have been told that chocolate slows down the absorption of the sugar, but I'd rather be eating something I like- I can't stomach the glucose tablets! A favourite drink is Creamy Soda, I won't drink coke if I'm having a hypo!

dex44lego9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dex44lego99 type 1 Hi my sugar's have been 1.1 and lower I have had a lot of hypos went to bed at night woke up in hospital. I agree everyone is different but I sometimes don't want to admit I am going low.Is there anyone else who feels like this.

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After 55 years of testing first urine which just gave you a clue then moving on to meters for the last 20 years I have had some quite low readings such as yesterday 2.7 and then at night 3.7 but I am trying to keep it all under control with just a few lows

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think my lowest has been around 1.0mmol and I'm still able to walk, talk, function and treat it.

I've never lost consciousness, but when I was on MDI I would drop much quicker than with the pump. I had one hypo in my teens which had me fitting for a few a seconds but was then able to treat with orange juice.

Never needed third party assistance or an ambulance (touch wood)

I feel normal at anything above 4.3mmol and don't really feel low until it gets to 2-3mmol.

AlanCSmith

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As has been said it varies from person to person. I am also Spinal Cord Injury at C5 since April 1992. In June 2006 I was diagnosed as Type 2 and was in hospital for 6 weeks while it was stabilised. I had a couple of typos while I was there. Don't know what my levels were but it was most weird but I'd be laid there talking quite normally to a doctor or nurse when I would start to feel as if I was extremely drunk, slurred speech, blurred vision, sweaty. Biscuits and Lucozade did the trick. The only other time was in June 2013, on a very hot morning in in British Columbia Canada. After breakfast my levels had been around 7 mails. Just before lunch I was in the front passengers seat of our hire car, we'd had the air con on so I wasn't o overheated when I started to feel woozy. My mmols were 4.5. At that moment we just happened to be passing the visitors centre at local vineyard. My family got me into the reception area where the staff plied me with plenty of fizzy drinks. A full recovery was made after an excellent lunch in the visitors restaurant. Touch wood I've never had another episode.

Zela16776

The lowest I've ever been was 3.7 and I was only just starting to feel a bit shaky/hungry... What can I expect from a full on hypo with bloods around 2-3?

P.S. What is the lowest it can get to before you fall unconscious?

I am still confused about hypo's. I have been down to 2.5 and still feeling chipper, then only 4.1 and very wobbly. Thats what I hate most - the uncertainty. Last week I suddenly elt quite bad and sure enough was 3.0. Took my normal 'rescue' dose of fruit drink which usually takes me right up to 6 or 7 plus a Glucotab. Tested again in 1/2 hour and found that it was 3.1. Panic as was now really befuddled and of course overdid the sweet stuff....13. next reading.
Apparently a hypo is very variable and individual. Weather, emotions and activity all make a difference to me... Sigh.

lucykop

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
As a Type 2 on Insulin and tablets I find as soon as I drop to 5 and below I can feel my body changing. Dizziness and unsteady and an overwhelming feeling of am I going to pass out. My husband stopped working night shift and only works weekends on days as I was having too many hypos during the night. I was waking up feeling 'all funny' as I described it so my husband makes sure my testing kit is close to hand along with jelly babies and lucozade. Sometimes I can barely move and just want to go back to sleep but my persistent husband makes sure I sit up and test. If I feel so bad he can do it for me. Although my readings were around 3-4 and rarely below it was low enough for me to find it hard to even communicate. If I wake in the morning and have a low reading between 3 and above I am able to handle myself. I am sure during the night because I am sleepy it makes it harder to focus. Thankfully it doesn't happen very often and scary when it does.