• Guest - w'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the 2026 Survey »

Never mind what happened to the cat, I am curious

macarons19

Member
Messages
17
hi to all, doing ok latest hba1c 48 on minimum metformin, weight stable at a satisfactory level so pretty much ticketyboo. However, big birthday coming up. Obviously this will involve food (i have never drank alcohol so when GP says you must drink less, no can do ). Back to food. I have in mind a spectacular birthday cake, BUT what I would really like may be does not exist. A great cake that does not involve carb guilt and spoils my peace of mind. Putting it out there for my fellow type 2s. I know I am “allowed” the odd treat, although food is not really a treat as human are not dogs but hey!
 
Happy, happy for your up-and-coming birthday. Mine is this week. I'm going to have Jamie Oliver's Carrot Cake this year because I'm insulin and I can. Horray. http://easycarrotcake.com/jamie-oliver/
I did bake a sugar-free carrot cake last year and it was inedible. So you're right. Lesson learned. No carb guilt.
 
I have had hit and miss experiences with low carb baking. I am a good cook and so given to experimenting. I do like the tower of cheeses, it looks fabulous.
 
I'd do something absolutely different like that cheese stack or have your cake and eat it with gustatory delight.
I think having sugar fee cakes is like alcohol free lager - just reminds you what you are missing.
If you feel it will trigger a binge then don't have any; some people can't cope with 'moderation' .
Just make sure its a very delicious cake that's truly worth it (bingeing on fondant fancies probably isn't). and the since the first bite will be the best don't feel that you need to finish it all
 
I have had hit and miss experiences with low carb baking. I am a good cook and so given to experimenting. I do like the tower of cheeses, it looks fabulous.
I made the Nigella chocolate olive oil cake for my birthday replacing flour with ground almonds and sugar with xylitol (slightly less than like for like) and it was easy, wonderful and low carb. Suggest serve a with a dollop of thick cream and a few raspberries.
 
Happy imminent birthday, it’s my own next week - and I’ll be making this beauty again:

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/low-carb-chocolate-ganache-layer-cake/

You could make one of those and use it as the top tier of a bigger cake that everyone else could have? The recipe says it serves two, and I took that to mean me, twice.

It’s worth trying to keep as low carb as you’re used to on your big day, because suddenly presenting your system with a massive dump of carbs “as a treat” could just mean you'll spend your birthday feeling rubbish.
 
Wow, thank you all, will definitely have a crack at these recipes, I like the idea of small/individual cakes and it looks fabulous. I knew I was asking the right people.
 
There are some utterly fabulous low carb gluten free sugarless cakes out there.

Lots to choose from.

The suggestions above are great especially the cheese option and the choc ganache, but if you were really hankering for a particular type of cake, such as black forest, or lemon drizzle, or coffee and walnut, then all you need to do is a google search for 'low carb blackforest cake recipe' and you will be AMAZED at what comes up - complete with different options for sweetener, and nut flours, and carb totals. The art of low carb baking has hit the stratosphere in the last few years. Pastry, doughnuts, gateaux, desserts, etc.
 
Back
Top