New and confused and lost

Steve17s

Evening everyone,
First of all I am a male 38, 14st6, 5ft11.
I was informed on the 22nd that I am 50% type 1 or 2 the doctors are doing tests to find out what am. I was around 19mmol and have it around 13 now.
I am scared and don't quite know what to do I am really a bad reader but some advise from sensible people would be helpful. I appreciate any help and advice.
Thanks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am scared and don't quite know what to do
Hi @Steve17s , and welcome to the forum.

First, take a deep breath and don't panic!

Diabetes of any type is a marathon, not a sprint, and with your numbers reduced quite a bit already you seem to be going in the right direction.
Seeing as they are currently testing you for what type you have, what about giving yourself some time to get used to the idea while you wait for the results to come in?

What medication are you currently on?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Steve
The 2 different types of diabetes are really different to each other and have different management
Type 1 the body stops producing insulin, type 2 the body produces it ok but then reacts to it.
There are plenty of videos about, on YouTube and elsewhere, and podcasts too to listen to, but best to find out which you are first, especially it could get very confusing

KidDougi

Evening everyone,
First of all I am a male 38, 14st6, 5ft11.
I was informed on the 22nd that I am 50% type 1 or 2 the doctors are doing tests to find out what am. I was around 19mmol and have it around 13 now.
I am scared and don't quite know what to do I am really a bad reader but some advise from sensible people would be helpful. I appreciate any help and advice.
Thanks

Hi Steve,
As the others have said, don’t panic.

At this point it won’t matter much which of the two you are. First step is to start recording what you are currently eating, simply to determine your starting point. My Fitness Pal is a good start point and it is free.
With time and a formal diagnosis you will work out which direction you will need to go.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Steve17s and welcome to the forums.

As the others have already said, you really need to know which type of diabetes you have before we can give you much advice, but I will give you the advice that I would give to any new insulin user.

Make sure you always have some glucose (or sugar equivalent) with you, as insulin can make your blood sugar go too low (hypoglycemia or hypo for short) and you need to be able to treat that immediately. One of the symptoms of severe hypoglycemia is confusion, so you want to make it easy on yourself to treat a hypo. So it's worth having glucose (or candy/sweets/lollies depending on which country you live in) on the bedside table at night.

Lots of virtual hugs.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to "meet" you. Take heart - it seems difficult at first, but it isn't really, once you get into the swing of managing your blood glucose, and we are all here to help. We have practice not theory to draw upon, and your future is bright just as we have found out with ourselves too.

Reactions: KidDougi