New and confused

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It can cause a lot of confusion - and there are also variations in the amount of carbs for a particular food - I discovered that the blueberries grown in the US are far sweeter than those I find in the freezer at my supermarket, because the variant grown in the US is more altered and the plants available outside the US produce fruit with less sugar content.
Once you are aware of the different methods of counting it does get easier to spot which is being used. One clue is the spelling - in the US it is fibER and in the UK fibRE.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really? Thanks for your help, but sadly I am confused ...:banghead:

1) In my Collins Carb Counter reference book, it is emphasised to deduct fibre from carbs to get net carbs ... all foods are listed accordingly, to enable you to do this. I have been doing this forever ...

2) Food labels list Carbohydrates and also Fibre, so it never occurred to me not to deduct fibre from carbs ... why would they list fibre separately if it is already deducted? Where is the logic?

3) In many websites and books, in my general reading, it is mentioned that carbohydrates' impact is ameliorated by the amount of fibre the food contains, and many advise deducting the fibre content from the carbohydrate to calculate the impact. I thought this was just general knowledge. Sometimes it makes a big difference.

Coo, food is a nightmare, innit? Thank God I found this website ... it has corrected more that one misconception on my part.
(but I'm still baffled)
:)

PS I was trying to be helpful ... Is it true, then? No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished ... LOL.

How do they spell the word Fibre in your book - it is most likely an American book, likewise many of the websites you are likely to come across.

In the UK and Europe the FIBRE is deducted from the total carbs and listed separately.
In the US it is not deducted and is listed similarly to how we list the sugar content "of which xg is FIBER"

Whether the amount of fibre in a food ameliorates the impact of the carbs or not depends entirely on whether the fibre is soluble or insoluble. To determine this you would need to understand the make-up of the food concerned.

Just ignore this and look at total carbs without deducting anything at all. Unless of course you go to the States!!

Reactions: paulmh

T2#Me

I have a feeling the Collins Carb Counter is a US-oriented/written book. In Europe/the UK fibre is listed seperately. I find the US way of doing things rather confusing and extremely unhelpful: you'd be calculating for hours in a supermarket their way, I'd be totally lost! As for no good deed... Hey, you now know something you didn't before, that's not punishment, that's a perk. ;)
Lovely reply, thanks.
Found an explanation on this link (took some finding!)
https://www.naturalketosis.co.uk/bl...-difference-between-total-carbs-and-net-carbs
Onward and upwards!
o_O

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

T2#Me

How do they spell the word Fibre in your book - it is most likely an American book, likewise many of the websites you are likely to come across.

In the UK and Europe the FIBRE is deducted from the total carbs and listed separately.
In the US it is not deducted and is listed similarly to how we list the sugar content "of which xg is FIBER"

Whether the amount of fibre in a food ameliorates the impact of the carbs or not depends entirely on whether the fibre is soluble or insoluble. To determine this you would need to understand the make-up of the food concerned.

Just ignore this and look at total carbs without deducting anything at all. Unless of course you go to the States!!

Hi again ... thanks for kind reply.
Actually, they use Fibre ... hence my confusion.
I found a link with an explanation quoted above AND a very interesting website, so all good my end.
As the magician said, It's all easy when you know how it works.

Reactions: Bluetit1802