New and Confused

vera57

Hi I have recently been diagnosed as type 2 Diabetes in March, I had no symptoms and was utterly shocked when I found out.. As this was during the Covid outbreak and I have not been able to really talk about the condition as all classes etc cancelled I am feeling a little overwhelmed and confused about what I should be doing. . My doctors have been really good and have telephoned me to see how I am and have put me on Metformin 500mg. I was taking 1 tablet a day for 2 weeks and then increased to 2 however I could not keep taking the 2 as I felt nausea etc and went back to one a day. I have started walking every day, losing weight and monitoring my food intake. All seemed well until the last week when I have started waking up in the night really hot and needing a drink and also I seem to get really overheated when carrying out any physical activity? The doctor is going to put me on a slow release Metformin which is equivalent to 2 tablets a day! but he is saying that I am possibly having a reaction to the medication ! how does that work? does anyone else suffer from the overheating ( I am over the menopause several years ago so it isn't that ) I also am not sure if i am eating the correct foods? I have cut down portion sizes and cut out cakes and biscuits etc (have found low sugar alternatives) However after reading items on this site you all seem to be talking about cutting carbs how do i know how many carbs to eat? and how do I know if my sugar count is changing I haven't been told or advised on this and I am completely at a loss now . They have offered me DESMOND when we can get back to some sort of normal and my eye test was cancelled too, I suppose it is jut unfortunate at the moment so asking you all for ideas? thanks in anticipation, By the way my bloods were in the 80's when taken in March.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum.

As a T2 you can't process carbohydrates. Cut out all bread, pasta, rice etc.

Someone will be along with links and info, I can't post them on my phone.

In the meantime can you tell us what you eat in a typical day please?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, this is the link I suspect @xfieldok was referring to about what to eat. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ And I’d add my own comments here https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ish-i’d-been-told-at-type-2-diagnosis.173817/

The courses that have been delayed are a mixed bag depending on exactly who delivers it. Stick around here and you’ll quickly learn far more and far more useful stuff anyway and won’t need the course. Same for the metformin. Hopefully you’ll settle into the new meds but if you can cut your carbs down sufficiently then you might not need that either.

Sugar is just one type of carb. And it’s all of them that matter. Low sugar alternatives are very often no better for a type 2 than the original version especially things like biscuits and cakes (dont despair there are options though if you’re happy to diy)

As to testing the links I put above explain it fully but yes get a meter and test yourself. It’s invaluable to see what foods work and how your doing. Many drs don’t advocate this but it’s not because its a waste of time, it’s lack of funds or understanding how to for a type 2.

vera57

Welcome to the forum.

As a T2 you can't process carbohydrates. Cut out all bread, pasta, rice etc.

Someone will be along with links and info, I can't post them on my phone.

In the meantime can you tell us what you eat in a typical day please?
HI Thankyou My typical day would be either weetabix or porridge with SS milk , wholemeal bread with mackerel or some other meat ham etc and salad, dinner is Italian lamb stews, chicken with small amount pasta, steak with veggies i have a wide variety of food which is all home made no shop sauces etc. I don't eat pastry and have Greek yogurt with berries I have always used the Atkins diet up until about 4 yrs ago when I just gave it up! and I try to avoid too many starches I have a medium sized dinner plate to reduce portion sizes and I am losing weight just not convinced that I am doing the right thing to reduce sugar and I use my fitness app to log and record everything I am calorie counting at moment and using the calorie deficit. I dont think my diet is too bad its the amount of carbs I think.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a T2 I would avoid the weetabix like the plague. Porridge can be problematic for some, you would need a meter to test.

Bread of any colour is a no go area. You should avoid pasta.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI Thankyou My typical day would be either weetabix or porridge with SS milk , wholemeal bread with mackerel or some other meat ham etc and salad, dinner is Italian lamb stews, chicken with small amount pasta, steak with veggies i have a wide variety of food which is all home made no shop sauces etc. I don't eat pastry and have Greek yogurt with berries I have always used the Atkins diet up until about 4 yrs ago when I just gave it up! and I try to avoid too many starches I have a medium sized dinner plate to reduce portion sizes and I am losing weight just not convinced that I am doing the right thing to reduce sugar and I use my fitness app to log and record everything I am calorie counting at moment and using the calorie deficit. I dont think my diet is too bad its the amount of carbs I think.
Calorie counting is not the way forward for a type 2 (or anyone really). Our bodies are far too complex and process different foods differently even if the calories are the same, even if we aren’t diabetic. Add that in as well and it just doesn’t work. Carbs are where it’s at for us. The weight loss will follow once we sort those out. Your diet is heavy on carbs still unfortunately. It’s great that you cook and don’t use processed stuff though. Why did you give up Atkins?

As stated any cereal is going to shoot blood glucose up and probably porridge too albeit a little slower than others. Drop the bread from lunch. Doesn’t matter if it’s wholemeal the carbs are the same as white pretty much. Try vegetable pasta (courgetti spaghetti or slices). Homemade is good but be aware of what’s going in it -flour isn’t good either. In return to make sure you get enough food and energy ditch all the low fat stuff (full of chemicals and sugar instead or make it palatable) and eat real natural fats. They won’t make you fat or increase cholesterol -carbs do that. Many of us have lost a lot of weight not counting calories and increasing fats. It’s sounds crazy but it works.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When I cut carbs I measured everything at first, I started slowly on 100g a day then 85g and my blood sugars went down really fast.
If you can buy a meter, measure before a meal and then two hours later to check how you react.
I gave up rice, pasta, switched to low carb bread, gave up porridge. but that wasn't so hard as I started having full fat milk, double cream on raspberries, and cheese. eggs. bacon, etc. Don't worry about extra fats, I still lost weight (more easily than ever I managed on calorie controlled diets), and my blood fats improved once I cut carbs.

I don't like eggs first thing and struggled to cook breakfasts so I made up a mix of milled flaxseed and chia seeds with a little oatbran for a porridge - made with water and coconut milk and served with cinnamon and double cream. It works out, with coffee made with half full fat milk, at around 18g of carbs.
I learned to make cauliflower rice and 90 second almond bread, and have a few low carb goodies to satisfy my sweet tooth (some find they lose this but I didn't, so rather than get tempted to buy sugary snacks I have a little 85% choc or buy stevia sweetened choc and make low carb mug cakes).

vera57

Calorie counting is not the way forward for a type 2 (or anyone really). Our bodies are far too complex and process different foods differently even if the calories are the same, even if we aren’t diabetic. Add that in as well and it just doesn’t work. Carbs are where it’s at for us. The weight loss will follow once we sort those out. Your diet is heavy on carbs still unfortunately. It’s great that you cook and don’t use processed stuff though. Why did you give up Atkins?

As stated any cereal is going to shoot blood glucose up and probably porridge too albeit a little slower than others. Drop the bread from lunch. Doesn’t matter if it’s wholemeal the carbs are the same as white pretty much. Try vegetable pasta (courgetti spaghetti or slices). Homemade is good but be aware of what’s going in it -flour isn’t good either. In return to make sure you get enough food and energy ditch all the low fat stuff (full of chemicals and sugar instead or make it palatable) and eat real natural fats. They won’t make you fat or increase cholesterol -carbs do that. Many of us have lost a lot of weight not counting calories and increasing fats. It’s sounds crazy but it works.

Hi thanks for this info I did give up bread etc and lived by Atkins on and off for years then got sick of eating eggs lol. Drifted in and out of it and just fell off the diet completely I know it works if used correctly but I used it as a Fad diet really. Have ordered a meter today and will get back in the zone just conflicting information thrown around on different sites that has confused me. How do we know the correct amount of carbs are right?

vera57

When I cut carbs I measured everything at first, I started slowly on 100g a day then 85g and my blood sugars went down really fast.
If you can buy a meter, measure before a meal and then two hours later to check how you react.
I gave up rice, pasta, switched to low carb bread, gave up porridge. but that wasn't so hard as I started having full fat milk, double cream on raspberries, and cheese. eggs. bacon, etc. Don't worry about extra fats, I still lost weight (more easily than ever I managed on calorie controlled diets), and my blood fats improved once I cut carbs.

I don't like eggs first thing and struggled to cook breakfasts so I made up a mix of milled flaxseed and chia seeds with a little oatbran for a porridge - made with water and coconut milk and served with cinnamon and double cream. It works out, with coffee made with half full fat milk, at around 18g of carbs.
I learned to make cauliflower rice and 90 second almond bread, and have a few low carb goodies to satisfy my sweet tooth (some find they lose this but I didn't, so rather than get tempted to buy sugary snacks I have a little 85% choc or buy stevia sweetened choc and make low carb mug cakes).

Thanks will start at 100 and try that. I have ordered a meter which will help me gauge any changes Really appreciate the advice

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sugar is just one type of carb

Hi, I definitely agree with you. I think the problem is that the issue of diabetes is always referred to as something to do with 'sugar', ie, 'check your sugars', 'what's your sugar level' as if it's spoonfulls of the white stuff going straight into our mouths and sloshing around our veins. The general public (and some Professionals) then think if only we didn't eat 'sugar' in the first place we'd be fine! Why oh why don't they start talking in terms of carbs, it would be so helpful to anyone diagnosed to understand that ALL carbs are 'sugar'. I am sure many people then start to think, well if I cut out (actual) sugar in my tea I'll be fine without having any idea what the so called 'good' carbs are doing to them. I am not a carb hater by the way, I am a low carber whether it be veg, certain fruit or even a biccie but I DO know that any carb sends my levels up. x

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks for this info I did give up bread etc and lived by Atkins on and off for years then got sick of eating eggs lol. Drifted in and out of it and just fell off the diet completely I know it works if used correctly but I used it as a Fad diet really. Have ordered a meter today and will get back in the zone just conflicting information thrown around on different sites that has confused me. How do we know the correct amount of carbs are right?
There is no right amount of carbs anyone can give you. This is why we test. For each of us it’s a different amount and sometimes a thing that spikes one person doesn’t another. Your meter will show you what works for you. 100g is way too much for me but it’s a reasonable place to start and see what you need. And low carb doesn’t have to be just eggs by any means and as you say it’s a lifestyle not a diet. Stick around and we can all help you find ways to make it work for you and she’d some light some of the conflicting issues maybe

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Once you have your meter,download the mysugr app. Record your food and numbers. I found it highly motivating and informative.