1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New and confused

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by larry dun, Jan 11, 2009.

1. larry dun

larry dun · Newbie

hi, i have been diabetic for a few months my doctor has told me i have passed the goverment line on test i am taken Metformin 500mg one daily when i test my blood glucose i get a reading sometimes it is 18mmo1/Lthat is the highest reading and sometimes its as low as 5mmo1/L i do not understand thisas you hear of a person with low sugar and they are given a gel to bring them around what i would like to know is 18mmo1/L a good reading or should i be trying to bring it down to 5mmo1/L hope you can understand what i am asking and hope ypo can help

2. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

Re: New and confused

Hi larry,
    Your G.P. has obviously not told you much in the management of your diabetes. A good place for you to start would be http://www.bloodsugar101.com. This site tells you everything you need to know and about blood sugar levels. A reading of 18 is much too high but a reading of 5 is good. Have a look on this website and then have a good look around the forum to see if any other posts are helpful.
    Keep coming back as there is always someone here to help.
    Catherine.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook