New and I want to cry

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Hello irw60. I'm sorry, but if you had diabetes, it has not gone; it doesn't go away. If you have non-diabetic BG levels (like me) it's because you have it well controlled; but if you eat a potato sandwich followed by a cake, your BG levels will go through the roof. I'm not having a go at you, and it may just be a matter of phraseology, but I wouldn't want readers to think that it's possible to cure diabetes (at the moment, anyway - we all live in hope!)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Hi Sketcher,
My diabetes is not cured and may never be, but it has gone. Because I have lost so much weight, 5 stones, my body now produces what it needs to stop me being diabetic. It took me just over a year to lose the weight and during that time my diabetes nurse was amazed to be able to reduce my medication every few months. I was on 10 various tablets each day, I can't remember the name of all of them, some were for the diabetes and others for blood pressure and cholesterol. Surely if the nurse thought my diabetes would return if I ate something naughty she wouldn't have stopped my medication? She would also have told me to expect highs and lows as a diabetic would. I would like to understand more about what has happened and how I can mantain my present condition. I can virtually eat what I want, but I don't! I had diabetes once and I didn't like it. I know what it's like to be unable to move form the sofa after some meals, and I know what it's like to be hit by a hypo after not having enough to eat in the morning. None of that happens now, no hypos or hypers, no drained tired aches. I 'lost' (note the quotes) my diabetes in July 2012, I have eaten foods that would have severely affected me 2 years ago, now they don't. BUT through this forum and a bit of advice from a doctor friend I know that I have to look to the future. That means eating now as if I was a diabetic, because as you say, I am not cured. For me, weight loss has been the key. It might work for others. My blood presure is nearly normal, my cholesterol is nearly normal, I gave up my statin 18 months ago to see if it was agravating my arthritis, I don't need it now.
Lee.

Sketcher

Dislikes
Hello again Lee. That's quite a success story - well done! I too have gradually come off medications as I have reduced the carbs in my diet: the doctor is keen to reduce meds, so I had to adjust my diet every time he did so. I got my weight off (16 stone down 13) before I was diagnosed, so I was put on Gliclazide rather than Metformin after diagnosis; as I reduced carbs and exercised more, I was getting quite a few low readings (never suffered hypo symptoms). I'm now on no more than 50g carbs per day, and if I don't transgress, I stay within the non-diabetic BG range.

So - like you - I'm happy to be off diabetes meds; I miss bread, chips and orang juice, but that's a small price to pay for health.

lrw60

Dislikes
Hi Sketcher,
Great story! Only 50g of carbs a day! I can't manage that, yet. I am a vegitarian and I am really struggling to eat fewer carbs but the right amount of protein etc. I am going down to Morrisons to look at some alternative breakfast cerials or foods. I am back on 60g of porridge with 1/2 pint semi-skimmed milk. I would like to get that right down. Keep plugging your success story though, the more people we can tell, the better. That's at least two of us that dieting has helped!
Lee.

lrw60

Dislikes
Hi Jan,
If you now look at these posts you will see that there is at least three of us that are med free. If you are not overweight then perhaps cutting out carbs and sugars is the way to go. There is a part of the forum where there is a diet for meat eaters to follow! Godd luck and keep posting!
Lee.

diabolic sister

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I stopped looking at this forum for a while as I was getting confused. The dietician at the clinic vaguely advised a plate divided into thirds, veg protein carbs, but nothing helpfully specific, and she kept asking if I drank Tropicana :-\
I've been trying to stick to 150g carbs, a bit more than recommended for females. I found it hard but had a reading of 5.2 today Whoop! Massive drop from 22. However . . I am Hungry!

Sketcher

Dislikes
Hello Diabolic. The NHS will always tell you to eat starchy carbs with every meal; this more or less guarantees that you will need medication to control your BG. For some of us, who still have enough pancreatic function left, we have an alternative: cut right back on the food that causes our BG to rise, namely carbs; if you are lucky you can then maintain normal BG levels (not a cure, just good control). However, if you go low carb, you'll have to increase the proportion of fat that you eat, in order to maintain energy levels. Lots of us find that - if you eat low carb high fat - you have fewer hunger pangs, because it takes the body a lot longer to extract energy from proteins and fats than it does from carbs. We're all different, but you'll never get rid of the hunger pangs if you try to eat low carb AND low fat.

It's a pity that GPs, nurses and dieticians slavishly follow "healthy" eating guidelines: it may be healthy for healthy people, but it's not healthy for diabetics.

If you do go low carb high fat, remember also to eat lots of salad and above-ground veg; that and fibre will also help to fill you up.

diabolic sister

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
ah thanks, that was quick. I am waiting for my initial blood results for cholesterol., kidney and liver function. I was told I'll probably be put on statins :'(
I will stop feeling guilty about the full fat Greek yogurt now :grin:

arrabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic!!!!
Hi Jan,
Well, u managed 2 get me out of the closet! My name is EMMA, I am 40 & was diagnosed as type 2 at the end of April last year. I felt like I had been hit by a train! It was a total shock, I was not overweight & the only family history of diabetes is my mum's cousin. So, I have spent the last 11 months angry, upset, lonely, scared & confused, much like you I imagine. I am determined that I am going 2 do everything I can 2 beat this thing. I have lost over a stone & my last hba1c was 49 (initial diagnosis was 65). Like u I have browsed this site for some time & this is my 1st post. I have to admit, I was a little sceptical at first but I figured I could do with a little support from people who know how I am feeling & have been through the same thing. My Dr is pretty useless 2 say the least & I get the impression my diabetic nurse just wants me out b 4 I cry on her again! Anyway, I just want 2 say the feelings u r going thru r not unique, u r not alone. It will get better but b warned, if yr anything like me, it won't happen overnight. I'm still a long way off right but I will get there with determination & (I hope) a little support. Take care Jan. X

diabolic sister

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw Hi Emma, if my husband eats one more flipping cream egg (after whole tin of rice pud) I may commit murder. I'll get my head round it I am sure, very confused at the mo and slightly in denial. It's such am invisible thing at the mo and if it weren't for my eyesight being all over the place I would probably ignore it. I just wish the reaction from other people when I tell them was less dramatic. They react like I've been given a death sentence :grin:
This forum is very good but still a bit daunting, there is so MUCH to read.
Take care and stay well
Jane
Not Jan, that was a typo :lol:

arrabella

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic!!!!
Ha ha, I know what u mean, my better half has bought some yum yums which are intended for work colleagues but are sitting in the kitchen table a screaming at me 2 eat them! The forum is huge, I'm only just getting started! As for people's reaction, they soon forget all about it, then you want 2 say "hello, I have a condition you know!" I go thru stages when I'm fine, I put it 2 the back of my mind like it doesn't exist, then I remember & I don't feel so fine anymore, I'm hoping in time, with more knowledge & support that I will always be fine. One good thing - I love my new body so there are some perks 2 being in our club!! X