New and scared - eating disorder

spud78

wow this was me as a kid (not so much now but as a kid no way, smelt like sick!)

greek style is good diabetes wise, is there something in particular you don't like?

wholemeal, brown etc etc makes no (very little difference) I have 1/2 slice now with various fat heavy things and instead of feeling worried about the fat I now worry about the carbs!

squeezy cheese, yay I love "laughing cow"

known in my family as "suspect bits" and one particular family member can't be doing with them :)

lots of evidence that eating patterns change at this age from eating everything in sight to a more cautious approach which is probably linked to child mobility/independence and is a good survival strategy (don't eat the purple berries!).

you're an inspiration, so many things to cope with and yet still seeking answers.
Thank you! You made me laugh...and brought a tear to my eye, in a good way. Thanks for the advice and I'm referring to them as 'suspect bits' from now on lol.

I've only tried greek style yoghurt once but found it very sour unfortunately, I thought I'd like it so was surprised. I'll have to try again, maybe a different brand.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only tried greek style yoghurt once but found it very sour unfortunately, I thought I'd like it so was surprised. I'll have to try again, maybe a different brand.

If you like peanut butter, you might also like almond butter, which is lower carb. Mix a bit of that with the yoghurt - it’ll add some flavour and a little sweetness.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Toast a few flaked almonds.
In a ramekin
Nuke a couple of squares of dark chocolate.
I add sliced strawberry but you could leave it out.
Add double cream
Top with toasted almonds.
Eat with tesspoon

Reactions: Chook

spud78

Toast a few flaked almonds.
In a ramekin
Nuke a couple of squares of dark chocolate.
I add sliced strawberry but you could leave it out.
Add double cream
Top with toasted almonds.
Eat with tesspoon
That's something I can guarantee I'd love lol. Thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really confused now. I don't use the phone so I got my hubby to ring for numbers (he's registered to speak for me) and they don't seem that bad,unless I'm reading them wrong. They gave him a range rather than a figure so I'm guessing it's pretty useless info. They are wonderful with me but they do keep some things from you when you have severe mental health issues. In case it triggers anything really. I have yearly full tests and apparently my last one was borderline. I've been told to be careful with my weight and diet but that's all. I think they were adopting a wait and see approach.

HBA1C 20-41 high
Cholesterol 0-5

Is that any use? I'm guessing they will go through it with me when I see the diabetic nurse.

I'll do my food list now.
Thanks so much. I really wasn't expecting any replies.

Hi there @spud78 - Welcome to the frum.

It looks to me like the numbers you have quote there are the normal ranges? When my HbA1c comes back it is usually reported something like shown below:

HbA1c: (20-41) 73 Outside Normal range

What that means is it's the HbA1c test, the range considered "normal" is in the brackets, followed by the score, and a comment. That number was my HbA1c when I was diagnosed. The Cholesterol numbers are displayed similarly.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, @spud78 , I love how your first tentative post seems to have improved your outlook and your mood in only a couple of hours! And you even found some new foods you're willing to try (like @xfieldok 's recipe, which sounds addictively good :hungry:).

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. I'll have to try again, maybe a different brand.
My go to brand is:
No.1 Natural Strained Greek Yogurt500g

You have 0 of this in your trolley

4.8 out of 5 stars128 reviews

LN_836765_BP_11.jpg

spud78

Hi there @spud78 - Welcome to the frum.

It looks to me like the numbers you have quote there are the normal ranges? When my HbA1c comes back it is usually reported something like shown below:

HbA1c: (20-41) 73 Outside Normal range

What that means is it's the HbA1c test, the range considered "normal" is in the brackets, followed by the score, and a comment. That number was my HbA1c when I was diagnosed. The Cholesterol numbers are displayed similarly.
Oh thankyou, that makes perfect sense! Hubby said it was the receptionist and she said she wasn't sure what the numbers meant but just read those out. He's going to ring back Monday and explain it's the other numbers we need.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! You made me laugh...and brought a tear to my eye, in a good way. Thanks for the advice and I'm referring to them as 'suspect bits' from now on lol.

Thanks for clarifying about the Greek Yoghurt.

I wonder if the one you tried was low fat. I sometimes find that, if the fat content is low, it loses some natural sweetness.

I have yoghurt every morning for breakfast. I make our yoghurt, and have tried LOTS of variations, just because I could. By far, the sweetest, plain yoghurt is made from whole milk, or even whole milk with a dollop of cream added at the beginning.

If I want to change up the flavours sometimes, I'll make a fruit compote.

One of the simplest compotes I do is just frozen strawberries, or other berry fruit. Allow the fruit to almost thaw, then threw it into a saucepan with some lemon juice and some sweetener, then just simmer until the fruit is cooked and begins to break down. Cool, store in a lidded container - Kilner jar or Tupperware container, then add a spoonful or two to yoghurt.

It's super easy and really changes up breakfast.

From the foods you listed, you actually have a decent variety of foods you can eat, so it's likely you might want to try a few experiments, to make things quite T2 friendly.

Edited to add: Lidl do a full fat Greek Yoghurt, either in a sort of 1kg bucket, or in a pack of 4 individual servings. Could also be worth a go.

spud78

Wow, @spud78 , I love how your first tentative post seems to have improved your outlook and your mood in only a couple of hours! And you even found some new foods you're willing to try (like @xfieldok 's recipe, which sounds addictively good :hungry:).
Thank you :) it's just such a relief to find so many of my favourite foods are 'good' when I've always been told they're 'bad' And everyone's been so kind. I still have options. I couldn't face going full on a full meal replacement plan, which seemed to be my only option if i have to lose weight, low carb and low fat. Obviously I'll have to be cautious, depending on my numbers but I have some hope now.

spud78

Thanks for clarifying about the Greek Yoghurt.

I wonder if the one you tried was low fat. I sometimes find that, if the fat content is low, it loses some natural sweetness.

I have yoghurt every morning for breakfast. I make our yoghurt, and have tried LOTS of variations, just because I could. By far, the sweetest, plain yoghurt is made from whole milk, or even whole milk with a dollop of cream added at the beginning.

If I want to change up the flavours sometimes, I'll make a fruit compote.

One of the simplest compotes I do is just frozen strawberries, or other berry fruit. Allow the fruit to almost thaw, then threw it into a saucepan with some lemon juice and some sweetener, then just simmer until the fruit is cooked and begins to break down. Cool, store in a lidded container - Kilner jar or Tupperware container, then add a spoonful or two to yoghurt.

It's super easy and really changes up breakfast.

From the foods you listed, you actually have a decent variety of foods you can eat, so it's likely you might want to try a few experiments, to make things quite T2 friendly.

Edited to add: Lidl do a full fat Greek Yoghurt, either in a sort of 1kg bucket, or in a pack of 4 individual servings. Could also be worth a go.
Thank you. I'm sure it was low fat. I'll definitely try full fat. I'm seeing all sorts of great ideas and think the compote could work if I can get it smooth enough and I'm sure pushing through a sieve will sort that!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You will have to find a sweetener that suits you. It is very personal. Xylitol is popular, unless you have furbabies. I have two dogs and it would be fatal so I won't have it in the house.

Amazon is good for larger quantities of stuff like almond flour and it works out cheaper than the supermarket. Don't rush out and buy a load of stuff. Slow and easy does it.

This is just an example, but google keto muffins. They come in sweet and savoury. There are hundreds of recipes out there. You just look at the ingredients and decide whether they might be suitable for your taste. Anything you fancy, google but put keto first.

I am glad you found us, I think you are going to be just fine.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't used to like plain or Greek yoghurts at all, too sour BUT after going no sugar for a few weeks those same yoghurts now taste creamy and sweet to me. They haven't changed, I have.
I also used to find Plain chocolate too bitter, now I adore it, one square only now satisfies me more than an entire 200g milk choc bar used to.
So never say "I don't like such and such" . Tastes can and do change, often for the better

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You've been given lots of advice so I'm going to stick with a welcome. You can already see why I am such a fan ion this site. The people here are amazing and so helpful. Keep reading and posting and you will find that it is easier. As a parent and wife of people who have many of the same conditions you have I am aware of the difficulties it presents. I am so glad that you have found that there are foods you can eat that will help with your blood sugar levels.

Good luck and welcome.

Reactions: Antje77

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so very much for sharing that with me. I know it's isnt easy. I can reel off my laundry list of problems but find it very hard to actually explain what these things are like in real life. You sound incredibly similar to me, especially the needing someone to step in when you're out. It's just like that for me. I do still get depressed. It's always there, in exactly the way you describe! solar plexus area if you know what I mean, it aches and drags at me but not as much as it did. I'm better at recognising it and stepping back now instead of falling right down the rabbit hole. I get the slow, feel like a slug, days a couple times a week but I still get suicidal thoughts but i only have to fight them about once a month. I'm sure you know what an improvement on all day every day that is. I haven't acted on it in 7 years, this month actually!I've had a wonderful support worker for two years and she's really helped me, as have the meds - I have to be honest. she's the one who picked up on Asperger's and helped me understand the impact not being spotted had on my mental health. I've still got to do the second part of my assessment as this virus has meant there's a wait, but because of that they've told me not to worry,I'm classic and it's pretty much a formality now. That's helped me hate myself a bit less.I managed to go to the local park with her because she 'get's' me and I felt safe with her. Unfortunately it couldn't last forever and i've had to stop seeing her. I seem to have reached the edge of my bubble for now. My therapist said it's fine as long as I don't regress. Just keep going. I do better in a bubble, less stress, less people, more calm - but I will always try and make the bubble bigger. She says that if that's what helps then that's what I need. I am hopeful that eating better and losing weight will help. I'm so so pleased it has for you and massive well done on your progress!

I think I'll be eating a lot of cheese and scrambled eggs -yum:) I do like dark choc too so I'll see if I can be good and ration myself. Thanks for the support.
Seems to me like you have a very clear view on who you are, what you needs are, and can formulate both perfectly fine. As for the bubble, stretch it when you can, take care of you when you must. The nice thing about our bubbles is that they can grow and shrink as needed, with no need to pop. ;) Mind you, with everything you've said; it must be difficult to reach out on a forum. I still am not sure how I manage to be on here almost every day myself. That was probably one very big hurdle, and you took it. So I have faith you'll make this work. You do care enough to take the bull by the horns, which in itself is very important.

You're going to be okay. You're doing pretty good already. :)
Jo