New and worried

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is what I like to hear! Would Stevia drops do?

Yes but please don’t use any other sweeteners like aspartame, canderel, maltitol or any other fructose based sweeteners etc as they are not safe!

If you can avoid using sweeteners the better.

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes but please don’t use any other sweeteners like aspartame, canderel, maltitol or any other fructose based sweeteners etc as they are not safe!

If you can avoid using sweeteners the better.

I have erythritol but I am not sure on how to use it as it didn’t go well in my last cookie recipe.

Reactions: Freema

moleman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Andy, and all fellow newly diagnosed members,
I was "borderline" for about 8 years. I was moderately active with my work(molecatcher) but have bad knee arthritis (I'm 61 now,) from my previous life as a plumber.
To be honest, I didn't take the warning very seriously until a routine HbA1c reading( they were checking my high cholesterol) came out high then bloods were taken then metformin was introduced. Then, it started to sink in. "WHY ME"? Two metformin a day, and I'll be blunt, I was frightened to cough or break wind!! I was so loose, it was really affecting my life. I told my diabetic nurse, who put me on met slo release. Ok at first then back to super loose! I really tried and lost weight(5'10" was 15 st 4, down to 14st 6ish) "and my nurse took me off meds. Great!" Till a routine test showed my blood to be 15.8 "mmol!
Nurse gave me blood testing gear(Accuread) and I have to do an am before breakfast and pm anytime readings. Watching my diet and one 80mg Gliclazide before breakfast is workingand readings have dropped significantly. Nurse rings every 2 weeks to monitor the levels and raise or lower gliclazide. Im coming to terms with it but it still hasn't totally sunk in if I'm honest. It's good to be able to vent off here to sympathetic folk in similar situations.
Sorry for rambling!
Neil

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@CrankyKat with Erythritol you just use it like normal sugar. If a recipe says 1 cup of sugar you just substitute with 1 cup Erythritol.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)