New and worried

sugarlips

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I'm Andy, 50 and newly diagnosed with type 2 and if I'm honest quite worried. I've been reading the forums and people here seem positive and helpful, hopefully as questions or doubts pop into my mind you will be as helpful to me as you have to others. Thanks in advance

Reactions: jackors

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the club no one wants to join - but actually, it isn't all that bad once you get used to the idea.
I count myself lucky that after just over a year from diagnosis, and stopping eating carb dense foods from the moment of diagnosis, I am probably healthier than I have been for years - and I have the readings to prove it.

sugarlips

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello and welcome to the club no one wants to join - but actually, it isn't all that bad once you get used to the idea.
I count myself lucky that after just over a year from diagnosis, and stopping eating carb dense foods from the moment of diagnosis, I am probably healthier than I have been for years - and I have the readings to prove it.

Already I can see the positivity in here, strength in numbers!!
I like the point of not wanting to join this club but I'm hoping to make the best of it now I'm here

sugarlips

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank-you, my head feels a little mashed as the diagnosis was a lot to take in but once it clears I know I'll be full of questions if people don't mind

Reactions: AdeleTurner72_

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I'm Andy, 50 and newly diagnosed with type 2 and if I'm honest quite worried. I've been reading the forums and people here seem positive and helpful, hopefully as questions or doubts pop into my mind you will be as helpful to me as you have to others. Thanks in advance

We are all on this together for help, support, advice, or someone to talk to so no need to worry or feel alone!

sugarlips

Type of diabetes
Type 2
We are all on this together for help, support, advice, or someone to talk to so no need to worry or feel alone!

Hi again, thanks to you all, you won't believe how much of a relief it is to know there are so many friendly people in here. I imagine the knowledge of diabetes is second to none in here. I hope the powers that be tap into such a rich resource

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sugarlips
Welcome to the best corner of the internet for us Type 2s. I’ll tag @daisy1 who’ll post loads of useful info for you.

Reactions: Freema and Lorns

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thank-you, my head feels a little mashed as the diagnosis was a lot to take in but once it clears I know I'll be full of questions if people don't mind

Don't worry about the panic and confusion.
Everybody gets that more or less.
Expect it to take at least 6 months for it all to sink in.
It took me a lot longer to work out which way is up.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi again, thanks to you all, you won't believe how much of a relief it is to know there are so many friendly people in here. I imagine the knowledge of diabetes is second to none in here. I hope the powers that be tap into such a rich resource

Straight after I was diagnosed, I threw away all sugar, chocolates, cakes, bread, potatoes, parsnips, swede (root vegetables), pasta, noodles, flour, fizzy drinks, sweet fruits, sweet fruit juices, frozen and canned sweet corn, peas, peanuts, omega 6 cooking oils from cheap sunflower oils; and sauces with hidden sugars and carbs ie ketchup, mayonnaise, salad dressings from my larder.

I adopted a low carb high fat diet instead.

Low carb = above ground “low glycemic” vegetables ie broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, cabbage, celery, brussel sprouts etc.

High fat = healthy fats ie cheese, avocado, pecan, walnut, almond and almond flour, salmon, extra virgin olive oil and olives etc.

I also now cook my own food, no more junk food and take aways!

Also now make my own low carb Keto bread, cakes, chocolates, desserts made with almond flour and sweetened with Stevia (200x sweeter than sugar but zero sugar, zero carb) !

Plenty of recipes on YouTube and various low carb sites.

Reactions: CrankyKat

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Remember that any meat or fish, shellfish, eggs, cheese - all are low carb so they are safe to eat.

However, portion size is important.

I usually eat meat the size of the palm of my hand and half plate vegetables or salad.

Reactions: Freema

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cold turkey? Naaah - hot turkey, with sprouts and peas and beans and mushrooms and sweet pepper, maybe courgettes gently sweated in butter, a huge crispy salad with olive oil and wine vinegar dressing and a handful of chopped fresh herbs, and afterwards a trifle made with almond flour biscuits, sugar free jelly a gelatin and fruit pulp something french, covered in real custard and incredibly thick cream mixed with brandy.

sugarlips

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks TD2, I've got hands like shovels so I may need a measuring bowl in stead lol
I really appreciate any and all advice as I've resisted the urge up to now to google answers as not always reliable

Reactions: AdeleTurner72_