New Atkins Diet

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
I went to local library looking for a low carb book and found the new Atkins book. A bit puzzled as I thought vegetables low carb you could eat as you wanted it the book says 30gms which if that's right restricts how many I can eat.
Have found some helpful information anyway and a carb counter.
So will keep trying.xxxx

oldsle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe it meant starchy (below ground) carbs? I don't follow Atkins, but I don't know of any good eating regimes that don't recommend as many above ground veggies as you want. I say go for it - we need them!

Reactions: Freema

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Maybe it meant starchy (below ground) carbs? I don't follow Atkins, but I don't know of any good eating regimes that don't recommend as many above ground veggies as you want. I say go for it - we need them!
Thank you.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although veggies are low carb they are not NO carb - be careful eating as many as you want they can add up pretty quickly - I count all my carbs including veg - I do eat a lot of veg though

I have never done Atkins so can't advise on that - the key is testing testing and testing again to see what you personally can eat to get the bs numbers you are aiming for. Only by testing will you see what you can and can't eat, we are all different and what may spike somebody may not necessarily spike you.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you.
I am so confused now as I thought low carb was Atkins is there a difference.I love their carb counter as you put food in and it comes up with nutrition details especially carbs, is there another app that does the same thing please does anyone know.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never read anything which suggests that vegetables are zero carb - Atkins has always been a carb counting way of eating as far as I know.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, carb veg count - if you are counting carbs as a total figure.
Some people (incl a lot of insulin dependents) only count major carbs like rice and bread, and don't count non-starchy veg.

Atkins has always counted the carbs in veg and salad, and has always been a lower carb way of eating, but you can have quite a lot of green veg in Atkins, even in the Induction Phase. Then following the induction phase you get to gently increase your non-starchy carbs to a point that suits YOU.

Seamus18792

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Running
Can anyone tell me the difference between carbs and nett carbs. I’m trying to follow a high protein low carb diet to lose weight. Should I only count nett carbs or all carbs?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone tell me the difference between carbs and nett carbs. I’m trying to follow a high protein low carb diet to lose weight. Should I only count nett carbs or all carbs?
It’s depends where you are. In the USA the labels and recipe nutritional info lists total carbs and you then need to deduct fiber to get net carbs. In the uk this had already been separated so all carbs listed are in fact net of fibre which is listed separately on a new line not indented within carbs

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most low carb or keto methods use net carbs as most fibre is not digested therefore doesn’t need counting. tho some USA based ways do advocate total but tend to have higher limits as a result.