New baby

cuxy88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi i was wondering if you could help me out i am insulin dependant diabetic and have been for 24 yrs not very well contolled then i fell pregnant was much better now baby is 19 weeks old and my levels are back to been funny again i have tried all i can tweaking levels around and depression not helping

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am too new to diabetes to give you advice but I am sorry that you are struggling. It is never easy with a new baby, time is at a premium but I'm sure the good folks here will be along shortly to advise you. Congratulations on your new addition and I hope things settle down real soon for you.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi i was wondering if you could help me out i am insulin dependant diabetic and have been for 24 yrs not very well contolled then i fell pregnant was much better now baby is 19 weeks old and my levels are back to been funny again i have tried all i can tweaking levels around and depression not helping

Congratulations @cuxy88 :)

After delivery, insulin doses go back to the pre-pregnancy level normally, or even slightly lower than pre-pregnancy. I found I had to,reduce my basal to roughly the same lower level as I had in early pregnancy when hypos are common. I also found my insulin to carb ratios were slightly different. So if you're having to make lots of adjustments, I'd say that was normal.

If you're breastfeeding, then you'll need extra carbs (without a bolus) to top up your levels sometimes. I found this was particularly true in the first three months, but then gradually reduced.

If it's just looking after your baby that's affecting your levels, then please know that that's normal too. Babies and young children make a diabetic routine hard. You never know what they're going to do and things like sticking to meal times or advance bo,using are all affected sometimes.

So your control won't be perfect - and that's normal not a failing on your part.

Is there any particular time or thing that you're having difficulty with eg highs or lows at certain times?

You've said you've tweaked and it hasn't worked, but I found the first 6 months or so a bit like pregnancy, with things changing frequently. So you might need to tweak and then re-assess and tweak again, then go back to your original dose all in the space of a few weeks.

You're not alone in having some cntrol difficulties. You're doing an incredibly important job being a mum, and all you can do is do your best each day. Just as you did during pregnancy - correct highs carefully, top up with food for lows, and test lots and lots.

You mentioned depression. If you're really feeling down, speak to your GP and get some support if necessary. I don't know if you're working or not, but if you're at home with a young baby, getting out of the house and going for a walk with baby in a pram can be re-energising and good for both of you.

Reactions: Snapsy and Dodo
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Congratulations cuxy88, take care and if you are really suffering ( especially feeling low/depression) please see your health visitor/GP and your DSN for support and advice x

Reactions: azure