EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Evidently, UK & EU have just approved a new biosimilar insulin.

Trurapi is made by Sanofi, and is the biosimilar for NovoRapid.

Anybody think they might give it a try?

OK, I'll bite. Am I right that a biosimilar is basically a generic version of an existing patented drug, which can be produced once the patent runs out ???? (Happy to be corrected if I've misunderstood, as I may well have.)

So is there any difference between the medical application of trurapi and and novorapid, or is it just a price issue? I'm guessing that the UK forumites won't care about the price issue (though their consultants might) so will only get it if the NHS decides it is cheaper....?

Not desperately relevant to me personally, as I'm in New Zealand where PHARMAC is very very slow to introduce new medications (eg lantus is the only 24 hour basal insulin that is available) though if trurapi is significantly cheaper than novorapid I guess they might substitute it.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your pharmaceutical knowledge.

Dark Horse

Am I right that a biosimilar is basically a generic version of an existing patented drug, which can be produced once the patent runs out ????
Here's what the NHS says:-
"Biosimilar medicines are biological medicines which are highly similar to another biological medicine already licensed for use. To be licensed by the European Commission on the advice of the European Medicines Agency (EMA), a biosimilar medicine must be shown to have no clinically meaningful differences from the originator medicine in terms of quality, safety and efficacy. However, biosimilar medicines are not the same as generic medicines, which contain simpler chemical structures and whose active ingredients are identical in terms of molecular structure to their reference medicines. Where NICE has already recommended the originator biological medicine, the same guidance will normally apply to a biosimilar of that originator."
https://www.england.nhs.uk/medicines-2/biosimilar-medicines/
Diabetes UK have a position statement on insulin biosimilars:-

"Key points
  • The decision of which insulin is most appropriate should always be made jointly between the person with diabetes and their healthcare professional.
  • People who are already established on an insulin and well-controlled should continue with that treatment and not be made to change to a biosimilar
  • As with all insulins, biosimilar insulins should be prescribed by their trade name rather than the generic insulin name to ensure that the correct insulin is dispensed
  • If people with diabetes choose to switch to a biosimilar insulin, they should be encouraged and supported to monitor their blood glucose more closely to ensure that good control is achieved"
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/profess...is a biological,availability and cost of care.​

Reactions: Struma

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Here's what the NHS says:-
"Biosimilar medicines are biological medicines which are highly similar to another biological medicine already licensed for use. To be licensed by the European Commission on the advice of the European Medicines Agency (EMA), a biosimilar medicine must be shown to have no clinically meaningful differences from the originator medicine in terms of quality, safety and efficacy. However, biosimilar medicines are not the same as generic medicines, which contain simpler chemical structures and whose active ingredients are identical in terms of molecular structure to their reference medicines. Where NICE has already recommended the originator biological medicine, the same guidance will normally apply to a biosimilar of that originator."
https://www.england.nhs.uk/medicines-2/biosimilar-medicines/
Diabetes UK have a position statement on insulin biosimilars:-

"Key points
  • The decision of which insulin is most appropriate should always be made jointly between the person with diabetes and their healthcare professional.
  • People who are already established on an insulin and well-controlled should continue with that treatment and not be made to change to a biosimilar
  • As with all insulins, biosimilar insulins should be prescribed by their trade name rather than the generic insulin name to ensure that the correct insulin is dispensed
  • If people with diabetes choose to switch to a biosimilar insulin, they should be encouraged and supported to monitor their blood glucose more closely to ensure that good control is achieved"
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/professionals/position-statements-reports/diagnosis-ongoing-management-monitoring/biosimilar-insulins#:~:text=Biosimilar insulin is a biological,availability and cost of care.​
Thanks for posting this @Dark Horse

Reactions: Dark Horse