New, confused and hoping to learn!

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the results of my HbA1c today. It's 42, which puts me as prediabetic. I'm not surprised. My own readings show the main problem to be impaired glucose tolerance.

I know I have to lose weight, exercise more and reduce the cards. Now I just have to do it! :)
If you are able enough exercise is very helpful in reducing insulin resistance, but not weight reduction. You don't have to train for the olympics, but good for you if you do! Just being mobile, if you have a desk job, stand up and move about at every opportunity. Use stairs and not a lift whenever you can.
I use this in front of the TV for example
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Peda...hash=item4b0fb1f967:m:m0XuA0bOr9eP1OeUaeF5T6g

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are able enough exercise is very helpful in reducing insulin resistance, but not weight reduction. You don't have to train for the olympics, but good for you if you do! Just being mobile, if you have a desk job, stand up and move about at every opportunity. Use stairs and not a lift whenever you can.
I use this in front of the TV for example
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Peda...hash=item4b0fb1f967:m:m0XuA0bOr9eP1OeUaeF5T6g

Yes I agree with you Walnut face,
weightloss is by changing diet
lowering and bettering insuline resistance is by exercising

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think so. My levels immediately I wake are normal, but they rise within ten minutes to prediabetic levels.

I'm still learning what all this means. :)

That is exactly what mine did. I have always had reasonable levels on waking (low to mid 5s) but 10 minutes later up in the 6s and still up there all morning.

I tried several things, and the one that has worked well for me is to skip breakfast completely but have a decaf coffee with loads of cream within 10 minutes of getting out of bed and before doing anything else at all. It has stopped it in its tracks and I a now see significantly lower levels all morning. I'm not saying it will work for you, but it must be worth a try. What you mustn't do is eat any carbs at breakfast. It is fat you need, so either the coffee and cream or 2 boiled eggs, or bacon and eggs, or cheese. Try it and see what happens.

Mac59

Hi, here is my background. :)

I have a strong family history of Diabetes and so have asked for yearly checks from the GP. I was creeping towards pre-diabetes in 2003 but have managed (somehow!) to remain within normal levels since. The last year has been very stressful and my diet has been poor (lots of snacks and hurried meals). I'm overweight and I know I'm not doing myself any favours. I also skipped my yearly test.

My husband is diabetic and I test myself from time to time using his finger strips. My readings are ok. He is using the FreeStyle disc system at the moment, and I thought that if I tried one myself it would give me more detailed information.

I know that any meter can be slightly inaccurate, and the disc system may read lower than the finger test. But I'm confused by two things.

1. Overnight my reading was 4.9, by 8am it was 5.9 (true fasting reading, high for me) - and before I ate an hour later it read at 8.2!! So it climbed from 4.9 50 8.2 in 5 hours yet I'd not eaten? Also, I rarely get readings above 7.7 at any time of day.

2. I are a cooked meal around 1pm. Two hours later my reading was 3.8. And I was really hungry. This is something that I've noticed, just a couple of hours after eating a main meal I am hungry again. Is this a sign of pre diabetes?

The rest of my readings so far (I'm on Day 2) have been normal - so long as the meter is reasonably accurate that is. I think that whether I'm now pre-diabetic or not, I need to sort myself out, lose some weight and watch those carbs.

Hi Kathy, I have been living with Type 2 Diabetes for a while and have read a shed load of books and watched loads of videos about it. I have tried the high-fat low-carb diets and it helped a little, but I have finally come to understand what Diabetes is - a fat metabolism disorder. So, don't worry about your cards (unless you're eating highly processed refined foods and sugary foods. Eat a Low-Fat, Whole Food Plant Based diet and you'll feel better about yourself, lose weight and keep your blood sugars under control!

Batozabatoza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m type 2 for many years and just started slimming world see if that helps me

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kathy, I have been living with Type 2 Diabetes for a while and have read a shed load of books and watched loads of videos about it. I have tried the high-fat low-carb diets and it helped a little, but I have finally come to understand what Diabetes is - a fat metabolism disorder. So, don't worry about your cards (unless you're eating highly processed refined foods and sugary foods. Eat a Low-Fat, Whole Food Plant Based diet and you'll feel better about yourself, lose weight and keep your blood sugars under control!

Hi and welcome
I'm not sure how long you have had type 2 and whether you are on any mediations. What I can say is that as a type 2 I have gone very low carb and have lost weight and put my blood sugars into the normal range. My HbA1c has been about halfway into the normal range within less than 3 months from going keto. I've lost weight while eating much higher fats than ever before so it absolutely can work. It may not have worked for you but I ate low fat for a long time and that got me to type 2. I no longer eat low fat and no longer count calories and have lost weight without trying and never being hungry. It absolutely has worked for me. Keto has worked for me.. Less than 20 grams of carbs a day- no limit on protein or fats.

Reactions: Rach612

Batozabatoza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi would like if possible any information or advice about low carb eating .I’m type 2 now for 15 years and tried everything except low carb and I’m really interested to learn more

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi would like if possible any information or advice about low carb eating .I’m type 2 now for 15 years and tried everything except low carb and I’m really interested to learn more

Hi @Batozabatoza

You’d be much better off with your own thread as your question is tagged on to the end of a very old thread. Would you like me to move it for you? Or feel free to start a new thread yourself.

In the meantime, this website is a good starting point: https://www.dietdoctor.com/