1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New diabetic fitness tips

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by farheen123, Oct 3, 2019.

1. farheen123

farheen123 Type 1 · Member

Hi all, hope everyone's doing well and kicking butt. I'm a fairly newly diagnosed diabetic and wanna start working out but I guess fear has been holding me back. Anybody wanna share suggestions regarding how you keep or keep backup supplies/prevent hypos/manage food and fitness?
    Really appreciated!

2. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

Working out really is a huge guessing game for each of us. It just really varies person to person? Trial and error?
    I have found what I am used to doing routinely is going to be the most predictable.

I get on my exercise bike daily for at least 10 miles. Since I am retired I have the versatility to decide when I do. I usually save it for after I've eaten a full meal. Sometimes I try to take a little less insulin and get on when my numbers first start to rise. This also helps prevent some of the higher rises for me when I have judged wrong on timing or doses. It kind of stops it in it's tracks.

But when snorkeling which is much more of a workout, I have to start out at a higher number and decrease my basal rate on my pump. Usually I eat something within an hour afterwards. It depends on how much work the snorkeling has taken to how much of a drop I will have and if or how much I have to eat, it is much more of a variable that I have to adjust for at the time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

@farheen123 what insulin do you take?
    It is most common to be on a basal/bolus regime of slow acting insulin once or twice a day and bolus with meals.

The impact of exercise on BG depends on a number of things
    - type of exercise.
    - duration of exercise
    - your fitness at that type of exercise
    - how much active insulin you have in your body

Typically, cardio causes BG to go low and resistance training causes BG to go up.
    But, some cardio may lead to rise. For example, cycling fast along a flat road on a warm (but not too hot) dry day may cause BG to go down whereas cycling up a steep hill against a strong wind on a cold wet day may cause BG to go up and pooling along a canal path may have no impact.

When doing cardio, I assume my BG will fall so I will make sure I have little or no active fast acting insulin (no injection 4 hours before exercise) and aim for a BG above 6mmol/l but below 9mmol/l. If I am having tough work out, I will add a small amount of juice or fruit squash to my water bottle.

My usual gym workout is a combination of cardio and resistance. If my BG is a little low (in the 4s or 5s), after my warm up, I will start with resistance training to push my BG up a bit. If my BG is higher, I will start with cardio.

I also climb which pushes my BG up (short cardio, resistance and a bit of adrenaline from the fear of falling). For this, I inject a little bolus when I start aiming for a BG around 3.5. I will not hypo because the insulin will be counteracted with the BG rise.

When exercising keeping hypo treatment close to hand and test often.
    Continue with extra testing for 24 hours after exercise as your BG can fall later.
    Some people reduce their basal by 20% after exercise. My dsn said basal changes can take 4 days to take effect. I did not find that. I found a basal reduction for the day after exercise reduced my hypos.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook