New Diabetic with Type 2 - questions

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also have the same thing happen to me sometimes- it's a good thing. My person thoughts are that you've given the body some fuel so it 'stops' the dawn phenomena from continuing as it realises you are going to give it fuel.

That's just my speculation based on absolutely no expertise.

That sounds like your re doing well.

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks - I have noticed that in the last four mornings, my levels have dropped after breakfast (doesn't matter what I have - hemp seed faux-oats, McMuffin, sausage and omelette).

The course I went on was very helpful for the first hour but the diet part was directly contradictory of what my own nurse said and what you guys on here have been saying so it's confusing. I'm going to stick with what I am doing so far at the moment.

Reactions: coby and Antje77

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I would update you all following my three monthly review.
I've managed to drop my HbA1c down to 32 from 51 in June, as well as reducing my weight by about 2.5 stone (give or take). My eyes are fine following my first scan, my feet are fine following this check-up and I've been able to reduce my Metformin intake in half with a view to completely stopping taking them in six months at my next review.

I honestly cannot thank you all enough on this forum. You have been so welcoming, and helpful and non-judgemental. I've just had a little cry walking back to the car and I've gone again writing this down as putting it so plainly has made me realise what a hell of an achievement this is. I am so proud to have got to this point and won't be resting on my laurels (although this weekend I may well use the opportunity to celebrate a little bit).

Thank you from the bottom of my heart and anyone else who reads this who may be a newcomer to diabetes, please never give up. There are tough times, there are times of sadness but it can be beaten and controlled. You can get your life back. This forum has played a huge part in the turnaround in my fortunes, and I can not thank you all enough.

Keep on keeping on x

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I would update you all following my three monthly review.
I've managed to drop my HbA1c down to 32 from 51 in June, as well as reducing my weight by about 2.5 stone (give or take). My eyes are fine following my first scan, my feet are fine following this check-up and I've been able to reduce my Metformin intake in half with a view to completely stopping taking them in six months at my next review.

Big congrats, I missed this the first time around.
You sound like me 2 years ago at diagnosis, I was BMI 42 with an A1c of 52.
Like you I hit it hard & early, all good so far.

Only thing that bothered me was seeing you going on some Derek course which I presume was dietary advice for diabetics.
How's is going with those 45-60g of carbs per meal & wholegrain pasta, what's the other pearl, oh yeah, eat small meals 5 times a day.
Excuse me, I'm a cynic.

garyclark82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That course was useful to a point, but that's all it was. It may well have been enough to help me lower my intake if I didn't know anything else but having been on here for a good while before taking the course, I knew to disregard it. I have been exceptionally fortunate with my nurse setting me on the path to lower-carb.

Tulip007

I’m 48 yrs old newly diagnosed type 2 in July this year. I was slightly overweigh 67 kgs at diagnosis. (I think I lost 4-5 kgs prior to this without trying to lose weight…. One of my symptoms of diabetes)
My height 5 feet 3 inches. Hba1c 11.1% !!!! My GP has not prescribed any medications. She’s asked me to control my diet & exercise. I’m on low carb diet since last 2 months. I do plenty of walking. I’ve lost 7 kgs already, my BMI now is approximately 23 now & My 3 months review is in October. Im hoping to see good improvement in my hba1c. Has anyone brought down their levels significantly in 3 months with similar levels at diagnosis?

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m 48 yrs old newly diagnosed type 2 in July this year. I was slightly overweigh 67 kgs at diagnosis. (I think I lost 4-5 kgs prior to this without trying to lose weight…. One of my symptoms of diabetes)
My height 5 feet 3 inches. Hba1c 11.1% !!!! My GP has not prescribed any medications. She’s asked me to control my diet & exercise. I’m on low carb diet since last 2 months. I do plenty of walking. I’ve lost 7 kgs already, my BMI now is approximately 23 now & My 3 months review is in October. Im hoping to see good improvement in my hba1c. Has anyone brought down their levels significantly in 3 months with similar levels at diagnosis?

Wow you’ve done great, hopefully you’re HbA1c will have come down. Also, amazing your GP didn’t stick you on meds immediately! I think most GP’s do!

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi Tulip007. Yes .... similar to you. I am also 5' 3" and was 69kgs up until July this year. I decided to go low carb after reading some of the success stories and I now weigh just over 61 kilos (Took me ages to convert that for you as I still use the old stones and pounds :D )
Forgot to add. Had my HbA1c two weeks ago and I have gone from 68 down to 37 x

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Tulip007. Yes .... similar to you. I am also 5' 3" and was 69kgs up until July this year. I decided to go low carb after reading some of the success stories and I now weigh just over 61 kilos (Took me ages to convert that for you as I still use the old stones and pounds :D )

I still can’t get my head around kg! My brain only works in stones and pounds lol

Tulip007

Forgot to add. Had my HbA1c two weeks ago and I have gone from 68 down to 37 x

Well done for getting it down to 37 :)
Can I ask how long it took u to achieve this ?
Many thnx in advance :happy:

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Wow that’s amazing!!!!!
Thank you. No one was more surprised than me! No real exercise either, other than an occasional short walk with my little dog. It's the Low Carbs that did it I'm certain! x

Reactions: Tulip007

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Have you been back in touch with your surgery, there are tests for LADA or T1, just make sure they have run those.
Then there is the TOFI, this on the outside, fat on the inside, where your body decides to deposit it's fat on the liver straight away.

You have options, you just need to establish your cause.