New diagnosed with gestional diabetes

lynz17

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Other
Hi I have been newly diagnosed with gestional diabetes and I am one stressed out bunny. I am 7 months pregnant and I feel now as if I don't want anything to do with my pregnancy it's ruined my whole 'natural birth' plans I am being told what I can eat and can't eat I have my first appointment tomorrow it's ruined the whole pregnancy for me, and the thought of having a c section just makes me want to cry as I have no friends no family that can help after ! I don't know what to do

Smelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had gestational twice and it's really not that bad. As long as you eat healthy and watch your carbs a little you should be fine. Everything you put into your body will now affect your baby so just try to keep that in mind. I actually lost weight while pregnant felt better with more energy because my focus was on my babies. I elected for a section as first born was 10.7 as they didn't catch it till 28 weeks plus he was always going to be a big lad. But my other boy was only 7.15 because I kept tight control. You may not need a section unless they've told you baby's big?

Smelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know it can be disappointing not getting the birth plan you wanted. But you and baby need safest way to meeting each other. I was out 24 hours after second section and home looking after my 14 month old with a little help from oh. It can be done! So try to stop worrying.xxx

GreenEight

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just been diagnosed too (I'm 15 weeks pg and had the test early as had GD with my son a decade ago!).

It doesn't automatically mean you'll have a section - my first child (where I prob had GD but was v borderline under when I had the GTT) was ten days late and a waterbirth and my second child (where GD was diagnosed, as I said) was four days late and a v speedy natural (hospital) birth. Both weighed 8lb-something.

I hope that gives you hope that you may v well not end up needing a section!

lynz17

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Other
I've just been diagnosed too (I'm 15 weeks pg and had the test early as had GD with my son a decade ago!).

It doesn't automatically mean you'll have a section - my first child (where I prob had GD but was v borderline under when I had the GTT) was ten days late and a waterbirth and my second child (where GD was diagnosed, as I said) was four days late and a v speedy natural (hospital) birth. Both weighed 8lb-something.

I hope that gives you hope that you may v well not end up needing a section!

lynz17

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Other
Thanks it does makes me feel slightly better I really wanted a water birth too xx

GreenEight

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks it does makes me feel slightly better I really wanted a water birth too xx
When I had my second child, I did have a bit of a "discussion" with my consultant about a waterbirth, but it was agreed I could. As it happened, my son wasn't hanging around and was born before the pool filled up, so it was moot in the end!

GD isn't an automatic section/hugely monitored labour, ime. I hope you have the same experience x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I have been newly diagnosed with gestional diabetes and I am one stressed out bunny. I am 7 months pregnant and I feel now as if I don't want anything to do with my pregnancy it's ruined my whole 'natural birth' plans I am being told what I can eat and can't eat I have my first appointment tomorrow it's ruined the whole pregnancy for me, and the thought of having a c section just makes me want to cry as I have no friends no family that can help after ! I don't know what to do

You won't automatically have a section :) You'll only have one if you need one - which is the same for any pregnant woman, of course :)

You can still make a birth plan, just like any other woman :)

The important thing is to keep your blood sugar within the range you're told. That way your baby won't get too big (making it less likely you'll need a section) and it will be best for your health and baby's health. Just think of the diet guidelines as another pregnancy thing you have to do, like avoiding alcohol, certain foods, etc.

And please don't let the GD ruin your pregnancy. It's a nuisance, but it doesn't mean your pregnancy and birth won't be a wonderful experience :)