New diagnosed

19Chrissie56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys, I am Chrissie, newly diagnosed on 26;April. My GP put me on Metformin 500gm Standard then on prolonged relief. Both times these have caused abdominal cramps/ Pain, diarrhoea. Anyone else had problems?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Standard Metformin is well-known for bowel upset but the Extended Release version is normally OK so you are unlucky. Most problems will clear up after 2-3 weeks but for a few they may have to stop taking it

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @19Chrissie56
Most people do find that the unfortunate side effects ease off after a while, however for others , myself included. Any slight benefits that Metformin gives, are just not worth suffering for.
Metformin can not reduce any sugar in your blood that gets there via your food, it doesn't work like that.
It reduces the amount of glucose that comes from storage in your liver, it helps a little with insulin resistance and can help some with their appetite and weight loss.
But if you eat higher carb foods like bread, pasta, rice, cereals, etc your blood sugar will rise, Metformin can not prevent it.
Have a look at the link below my post for the nutritional thingy, with a lower carb diet there is every chance that you won't need any medication

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier and Rachox