New diagnosis

NBU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone been signed off sick following a recent diagnosis? I have a senior role in a stressful job and am struggling to manage. I am sleeping very badly and worrying about work and health. Wondering whether I need a break to concentrate on current health issues.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone been signed off sick following a recent diagnosis? I have a senior role in a stressful job and am struggling to manage. I am sleeping very badly and worrying about work and health. Wondering whether I need a break to concentrate on current health issues.
I wasn't employed at the time of diagnosis, so I don't know whether or not it's common to take time off... But I do know many people struggle right at the start, and need to get their feet back under them. A few days of research and decision-making could be helpful. Stress is one of the many, many things that influences what your blood sugars are doing (it can make them go up), so.... It might be wise to take a little time for yourself, sort out what you're going to do about this, and come to terms with the whole thing, though that may be a process of months rather than days, a good start might help. A life-changing diagnosis can be quite traumatic and kicks-start the stages of grief, on top of you needing to figure out what diabetes means to you.

I'm a little surprised at your story, by the way... Has anyone talked to you about what's next? What do you want to be the next thing? Do you want to stay on insulin, or try and come off it, or...? You have options, if tests are indeed conclusive for T2. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help get blood sugars down, but keep in mind that going low carb while on insulin is very, very likely to result in hypo's, so be very careful if you want to give that a go. If you're fine on insulin, you're fine on insulin. Or whatever other method you end up choosing. Lot of low carb advocates here, myself included, but there's more than one way to handle this. Take a breather, and figure out which one fits you best.

Good luck,
Jo

NBU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your reply, Jo. I had the GAD test and don’t have antibodies so being treated for T2. I am desperate to come of the insulin and will discuss this with the diabetic team next week.
I think it’s the shock of it all as the symptoms came on quickly and the relentlessness of it all is hitting me hard.