New Driving Issue

ferret1o3uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The new driving guide lines set up by the EU , as Diabetics are supposed to cause more accidents than anyone else, the guide lines attack single people living on their own . They state if you have a hypo and require the help of someone else whether that be a neighbour or paramedic you have to report it . I for one will not call a paramedic if it means losing my driving licence I have driven for 17 yrs without an accident , yes I live alone and do require someone elses help when i have a hypo will i report it no i won't !!!!!! I am not prepared to loose my home, my job, and my life and sit on the Dole doing nothing because I have a hypo . It is victimisation, and infringing my human rights , to a quality of life .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
ferret1o3uk said:
as Diabetics are supposed to cause more accidents than anyone else

I wasn't aware of that :eek: ......where did you read that ferret?

bretty

There doing anything they can to reduce the number of drivers on the road and attack the inoccent !

paragliderpete

Hi you will find the new guidlines regarding diabates and any other medical condition, on the DVLA web site under medical requirements.

The whole point is about being able to recognise an appraoching hypo and remedy the problem before it gets to a point beyond self help.

I can't see a problem with this. As you state that you go into hypo any cannot recover without help. what makes you think that it will not happen when you are driving and you end up crashing. Do you think that your insurance would pay out in that senario.
Even worse you could end up killing someone .

You will find that your licence will be withdrawn until you are able to prove that you can control your diabetes. in particular your hypo's

What do you think if I took your stance, I'm a pilot !!

Sugar free Stu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Really must agree paragliderpete

I worked on cross channel ferries for many years, became Diabetic but no sugar showed in the medicals so didn’t say anything as I loved the job.
Then we were all made redundant and it was time to think it all through and decided as part of the job was being part of a fire watch/crew and steering under pilotage, 625 passengers with 200 vehicles it was time to change occupation. Life has been very tough since.

Epileptics are not permitted to drive and neither should anyone else who in there heart of hearts knows there not feeling great and the old foe diabetes is not good that day and that includes hyper!

Stu