Katieemmahope

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese, mushrooms, early mornings
Hello all, hope you're well.

Jumping right in to it, my GF and I missed out on our 7 day trip to Croatia this year, so we rebooked when we could afford to and are due to fly out to Dubrovnik, meander up to Split over the course of 9 days, and fly home again, in June 2021.

I've just had and email from EasyJet this morning, updating their cabin bag policy, from the usual sizing (basically a small suitcase of 56 x 45 x 25 cm) to a small backpack size (of 45 x 36 x 20 cm), which MUST FIT UNDER THE SEAT IN FRONT OF YOU.

Now, I'm not too sure how y'all travel with your medication and equipment on planes, where you've only booked hand luggage, but I go to the special assistance team (with EJ anyway) and request permission for a cabin suitcase to go in the overhead with my spares in, and a handbag for all my insulin to go in, so I can see it at all times.

This new policy update suggests to me that unless you upgrade your seat to include a cabin sized suitcase, you're only allowed the smaller 40cm bag.

Has anyone got an insight in to this new policy, or knows the best way to let EJ know that this isn't convenient?

I dont think I'm being too unnecessary but I'm loathe to put anything in the hold.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all, hope you're well.

Jumping right in to it, my GF and I missed out on our 7 day trip to Croatia this year, so we rebooked when we could afford to and are due to fly out to Dubrovnik, meander up to Split over the course of 9 days, and fly home again, in June 2021.

I've just had and email from EasyJet this morning, updating their cabin bag policy, from the usual sizing (basically a small suitcase of 56 x 45 x 25 cm) to a small backpack size (of 45 x 36 x 20 cm), which MUST FIT UNDER THE SEAT IN FRONT OF YOU.

Now, I'm not too sure how y'all travel with your medication and equipment on planes, where you've only booked hand luggage, but I go to the special assistance team (with EJ anyway) and request permission for a cabin suitcase to go in the overhead with my spares in, and a handbag for all my insulin to go in, so I can see it at all times.

This new policy update suggests to me that unless you upgrade your seat to include a cabin sized suitcase, you're only allowed the smaller 40cm bag.

Has anyone got an insight in to this new policy, or knows the best way to let EJ know that this isn't convenient?

I dont think I'm being too unnecessary but I'm loathe to put anything in the hold.
I got the same email this morning. I haven't measured our bags yet but I am sure they won't go under the seat in front. We normally take a cabin bag each and check in one suitcase between the two of us.
Since I booked under one set of conditions, can they change them later? We need Martin Lewis on the case. (or cases)

Reactions: JMK1954

Katieemmahope

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've sent them an email (below) so I'll let you know if I hear anything back from them before June....

Good afternoon,

I've had an email about bags allowed on flights, changing from Feb 2021.

As someone who already has special assistance for myself and my partner, who is on the same flights, I will be carrying insulin on me when I travel. As the holiday will be cut short if this insulin is damaged or lost, I will be taking some insulin and diabetic medication in my partner's bag also.

Because of this medication being temperature sensitive, my bags and my partners bags will not be allowed to travel in the hold as it would freeze and become unusable.

Please can you advise if the change in bags allowed onboard from Feb 2021 will affect people travelling with the special assistance flag?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I will be taking some insulin and diabetic medication in my partner's bag also.
I was advised that the letter from the doctor requesting permission to carry insulins, sharps, etc. only refers to my luggage. My partner would not be authorised to carry, for example, needles and syringes on a flight.
I am a frequent lone traveller and have travelled by myself for 3 weeks with all my diabetes medication (at least twice as much as I would need if there are no problems), a change of clothes and toiletries in my hand luggage which fits under my seat.

That said, I am surprised that EasyJet can change the "product" (flight) that you have paid for in this way regardless of any medical concessions.

Katieemmahope

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was advised that the letter from the doctor requesting permission to carry insulins, sharps, etc. only refers to my luggage. My partner would not be authorised to carry, for example, needles and syringes on a flight.
I am a frequent lone traveller and have travelled by myself for 3 weeks with all my diabetes medication (at least twice as much as I would need if there are no problems), a change of clothes and toiletries in my hand luggage which fits under my seat.

That said, I am surprised that EasyJet can change the "product" (flight) that you have paid for in this way regardless of any medical concessions.

I've got a letter somewhere but my last DN mentioned an Insulin Passpoet which I never got around to organising.... EJ have also never asked to see anything..... my saying "I'll put bits in my GFs luggage" was also kinda just to ensure her bag is around too.... you're right though. I'll wait to see what they say.....

Reactions: In Response

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This doesn't help @Katieemmahope but is some way to answering your point.
If you've already booked a standard seat on a flight on or after 10 February, you'll only be able to bring a smaller bag on board - but as you've already booked before the change in policy was announced, Easyjet says you will also be able to put a larger cabin bag in the hold for free.

Katieemmahope

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This doesn't help @Katieemmahope but is some way to answering your point.
If you've already booked a standard seat on a flight on or after 10 February, you'll only be able to bring a smaller bag on board - but as you've already booked before the change in policy was announced, Easyjet says you will also be able to put a larger cabin bag in the hold for free.

That's good to know, thank you. *rustles paperwork on desk and prepares to commence battle with EasyJet phone operator*

Katieemmahope

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morning all - I have had a response.

“I have made a note of your request to add a medical bag on both bookings which will be in addition to your normal bag allowance, which is 45x36x20cm to classify as personal medication, a doctor’s certificate is required and it must have the following requirements:
  • Letterheaded
  • Signed
  • In the traveler's name
  • List of medications & stating that it’s vital
  • A recent copy and not older than 3 months

Subject to any security measures that are beyond easyJet's control, the certificate must be presented to the security at the Bag Drop area. Prescription letters will not be accepted and we are unable to refrigerate medication for you on board.

Please ensure that you do not have any personal items in the medical bag and keep the doctors' letter to hand during the airport procedure. Remember that this additional medical luggage will not reflect on your boarding pass.

Kind regards,

M”

Katieemmahope

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
.....and I’ve just called my surgery and they don’t do the letters so it’d be a one off fee of £30 for the letter. The receptionist advised the usually told patients to just take their repeat prescriptions..... you know, which it says EJ won’t accept.... I mentioned Insulin Passports but the receptionist hadn’t heard of them, and, to be honest, I haven’t heard of them in a while.... but obviously my doctors won’t provide one as they’ve not heard of them..... I’m loathe to spend £30 on a one use letter, (they won’t do them undated, I checked), and as it has to be within three months, I’d never be allowed to use it again. Technically. What a palaver.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
.....and I’ve just called my surgery and they don’t do the letters so it’d be a one off fee of £30 for the letter. The receptionist advised the usually told patients to just take their repeat prescriptions..... you know, which it says EJ won’t accept.... I mentioned Insulin Passports but the receptionist hadn’t heard of them, and, to be honest, I haven’t heard of them in a while.... but obviously my doctors won’t provide one as they’ve not heard of them..... I’m loathe to spend £30 on a one use letter, (they won’t do them undated, I checked), and as it has to be within three months, I’d never be allowed to use it again. Technically. What a palaver.
i always got travel letters from my diabetes team at the hospital,not my gp also travel passport off hospital which is basiically just a card to say what medications you are on hope this helps.£30 for a letter is ridiculous x

Katieemmahope

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i always got travel letters from my diabetes team at the hospital,not my gp also travel passport off hospital which is basiically just a card to say what medications you are on hope this helps.£30 for a letter is ridiculous x

Yes, thank you!! I called my GP back and was like, hold on, I need to speak to a DC actually, can you provide me with one. I’m fairly new to the area and I hate to think, but if I hadn’t called back, I wouldn’t have been assigned one and it would have gone under the radar. I’ve requested a call back to arrange a “Hello, I’m new” appt so I’ll ask then. Thank you for your help :)

Reactions: karen8967