'New' Eatwell Guide

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
Is it just me or does the 'new' guide look almost exactly like the old one? I looked at the people that make up the panel that decide on this stuff and wasn't very surprised to see how much big corporations feature in the 'live register of declared interests' that they are involved in.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ile/588962/SACN_Register_of_Interests_v07.pdf

How can it be right that only certain studies are represented in this guide that is used by doctors and nutritionists in advising people with all sorts of conditions?

Reactions: Oldvatr and dbr10

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Shocking isn't it, when you see it in black and white. Big Food and Big Pharma have their grubby fingers in every pie. The ones that really stand out are GSK, Kraft, Big Sugar and Kellog. Kellog have links to the Seventh Day Adventist Church so it does not surprise me that the Vegan Society and the Vegetarian Society are listed too.

Reactions: dbr10

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
For me it was nestle, who I find abhorrent and have boycotted for years. They had links to several people on that panel.

Reactions: dbr10

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is it just me or does the 'new' guide look almost exactly like the old one? I looked at the people that make up the panel that decide on this stuff and wasn't very surprised to see how much big corporations feature in the 'live register of declared interests' that they are involved in.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ile/588962/SACN_Register_of_Interests_v07.pdf

How can it be right that only certain studies are represented in this guide that is used by doctors and nutritionists in advising people with all sorts of conditions?
Thanks for posting this. I am going to print it out. I am starting an xpert course soon and will take this with me.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it was nestle, who I find abhorrent and have boycotted for years. They had links to several people on that panel.
Slightly off-topic: at the check-out in Asda, the lady behind me plonked a pack of 12 small bottles of still water on the belt. Shrink-wrapped in plastic with DRINK ME! and ZERO CALORIES! plastered all over it, plus the Nestle logo. I was horrified (I didn't even know they sold water) - of course it's zero calories, it's water, *** - so much waste and so cynical to promote their brand that way. It doesn't surprise me they have links to the panel.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Slightly off-topic: at the check-out in Asda, the lady behind me plonked a pack of 12 small bottles of still water on the belt. Shrink-wrapped in plastic with DRINK ME! and ZERO CALORIES! plastered all over it, plus the Nestle logo. I was horrified (I didn't even know they sold water) - of course it's zero calories, it's water, *** - so much waste and so cynical to promote their brand that way. It doesn't surprise me they have links to the panel.

Now I have a hankering for high calorie full fat water :D

Reactions: Arlmy

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not keen on these 'one size fits all' diet guides. Everyone has different needs and preferences. I am lucky that my doctors let me eat whatever I want, they will give suggestions if I need help but they don't force any particular diet on me. My GP was one of the first people to teach patients about how to adjust insulin by checking your numbers after meals. That way, people who had more unconventional diets could figure out on their own how much insulin to take for their meals.

Reactions: thepolly

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm not keen on these 'one size fits all' diet guides. Everyone has different needs and preferences. I am lucky that my doctors let me eat whatever I want, they will give suggestions if I need help but they don't force any particular diet on me. My GP was one of the first people to teach patients about how to adjust insulin by checking your numbers after meals. That way, people who had more unconventional diets could figure out on their own how much insulin to take for their meals.

This piece isn't about diets per se. It is about undue influences on the diet of whole populations in general.

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm interested in fasting but the majority of the time when you mention this to anyone medical they say 'it's not safe' - this is despite me probably having a least 4 stone worth of food wrapped about me :D It really does make you wonder why!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm interested in fasting but the majority of the time when you mention this to anyone medical they say 'it's not safe' - this is despite me probably having a least 4 stone worth of food wrapped about me :D It really does make you wonder why!
Fear and ignorance probably...

and there really isn't a way to monetise it...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It probably works out to be as expensive as petrol. Some people use a water filter to protect themselves from chlorine poisoning, others buy bottled water. Some buy volcanic spring water in the belief that the sulphur and heavy metal content is healthy minerals.(?????)

I remember a very famous and expensive brand of bottled water being withdrawn from sale since it contained more microbial bacteria than the average toilet, Think of all the film stars at Cannes drinking it because it was a French luxury brand.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thats alot of food corps and drug companies. when you see mars you just know there advice will make you work rest and play

Biggles2

This piece isn't about diets per se. It is about undue influences on the diet of whole populations in general.
Agreed @Guzzler! And I would add that as the state provides the funding for health care through taxation, they have a vested interested in keeping the population healthy, so it follows that the government will enact policy that will modify their populations' health habits and behaviours. The government started down the path of telling people what to eat in 1983. How has that great experiment worked???? Is the population healthier today than 35 years ago???

Our politicians mean/meant well of course. They are following the advice of experts - and it is the vested interests of the experts that we should know about.

In terms of the population in general, I read a tongue in cheek comment recently something along the lines of 'we should be grateful for this guidance, we were probably eating tree bark and cardboard before the govt. stepped in with their helpful advice'!;)

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Agreed @Guzzler! And I would add that as the state provides the funding for health care through taxation, they have a vested interested in keeping the population healthy, so it follows that the government will enact policy that will modify their populations' health habits and behaviours. The government started down the path of telling people what to eat in 1983. How has that great experiment worked???? Is the population healthier today than 35 years ago???

Our politicians mean/meant well of course. They are following the advice of experts - and it is the vested interests of the experts that we should know about.

In terms of the population in general, I read a tongue in cheek comment recently something along the lines of 'we should be grateful for this guidance, we were probably eating tree bark and cardboard before the govt. stepped in with their helpful advice'!;)

Couldn't agree more. We are said to be living longer but we are living sicker longer.

Biggles2

It is about undue influences on the diet of whole populations in general.
Christine Kearns Couzens is a lead researcher in the area of industry influence in research and public policy development. Here is a link to a great Mother Jones article about her work from 2012:

‘How a Former Dentist Drilled the Sugar Industry: “Below the blue letterhead of the Sugar Association, the word ‘CONFIDENTIAL’ leapt off the page.”
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2012/10/former-dentist-sugar-industry-lies/

And a link to one of the journal articles she has co-authored:
From JAMA in 2016:
‘Sugar Industry and Coronary Heart Disease Research: A Historical Analysis of Internal Industry Documents’
"Together with other recent analyses of sugar industry documents, our findings suggest the industry sponsored a research program in the 1960s and 1970s that successfully cast doubt about the hazards of sucrose while promoting fat as the dietary culprit in CHD."​
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2548255?redirect=true

From the BMJ in 2015:
‘Sugar’s web of influence 2: Biasing the science’
‘Industry funding of research that shows sugar in a good light is nothing new. In 2009, US dental administrator Cristin Couzens unearthed the files of a bankrupt sugar company and discovered a cache of revelatory documents spanning decades.
Couzens found that back in the 1960s, when diet drinks were seen as a threat to manufacturers of sugary drinks, the industry had funded research in an attempt to show that cyclamate sweeteners were bad for health. In the 1970s, efforts were made to distance sugar from diabetes, and between 1975 and 1980 the Sugar Association in the US had funded 17 studies “to maintain research as a main prop of the industry’s defense.”’​
http://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h215

Reactions: Guzzler

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake news and spin doesn't get any worse than that - and all because of filthy lucre

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Christine Kearns Couzens is a lead researcher in the area of industry influence in research and public policy development. Here is a link to a great Mother Jones article about her work from 2012:

‘How a Former Dentist Drilled the Sugar Industry: “Below the blue letterhead of the Sugar Association, the word ‘CONFIDENTIAL’ leapt off the page.”
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2012/10/former-dentist-sugar-industry-lies/

And a link to one of the journal articles she has co-authored:
From JAMA in 2016:
‘Sugar Industry and Coronary Heart Disease Research: A Historical Analysis of Internal Industry Documents’
"Together with other recent analyses of sugar industry documents, our findings suggest the industry sponsored a research program in the 1960s and 1970s that successfully cast doubt about the hazards of sucrose while promoting fat as the dietary culprit in CHD."​
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/article-abstract/2548255?redirect=true

From the BMJ in 2015:
‘Sugar’s web of influence 2: Biasing the science’
‘Industry funding of research that shows sugar in a good light is nothing new. In 2009, US dental administrator Cristin Couzens unearthed the files of a bankrupt sugar company and discovered a cache of revelatory documents spanning decades.
Couzens found that back in the 1960s, when diet drinks were seen as a threat to manufacturers of sugary drinks, the industry had funded research in an attempt to show that cyclamate sweeteners were bad for health. In the 1970s, efforts were made to distance sugar from diabetes, and between 1975 and 1980 the Sugar Association in the US had funded 17 studies “to maintain research as a main prop of the industry’s defense.”’​
http://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h215

Just finished reading through the link given within the first article. I knew it had been going on but to be told of actual paper proof that all this was going on is just mind blowing and to top it all that Ancel Keys also had links to Big Sugar.
Will read through the second of your links later, thank you for posting this.

Reactions: Biggles2