'New' Eatwell Guide

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
Yes, thanks for the links, very informative, the only sad thing is that most of the folk that read the links are already of the mindset that sugar is bad anyway.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, thanks for the links, very informative, the only sad thing is that most of the folk that read the links are already of the mindset that sugar is bad anyway.
The sadness is that as diabetics we HAVE to think of it like that. This is a Diabetes forum after all.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It probably works out to be as expensive as petrol. Some people use a water filter to protect themselves from chlorine poisoning, others buy bottled water. Some buy volcanic spring water in the belief that the sulphur and heavy metal content is healthy minerals.(?????)

But bottled water is hugely profitable for producers, eg:-

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/05/michigan-nestle-water-extraction-residents
Michigan regulators were deluged with angry comments this week, after reports that the state had drafted a permit approval for Nestlé to nearly double the amount of groundwater it pumps from a plant in Evart, Michigan to 210m gallons a year.

The pumping increase is only expected to cost the Swiss food giant $200 a year, and possibly the price of a permit fee, because its bottling plant in Evart is considered a private well under state law, regulators said.

And other companies and other Nestle plants are operating under similar dubious deals. Especially as there's also a cost of dealing with billions of empty plastic bottles. The Michigan plants were especially controversial given the problems with the water supply in Flint. If the state charged a per-gallon royalty instead, it might have the money to fix it's own water supply. And also deal with road wear & tear from shipping water by truck instead of pipe.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it just me or does the 'new' guide look almost exactly like the old one? I looked at the people that make up the panel that decide on this stuff and wasn't very surprised to see how much big corporations feature in the 'live register of declared interests' that they are involved in.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ile/588962/SACN_Register_of_Interests_v07.pdf

How can it be right that only certain studies are represented in this guide that is used by doctors and nutritionists in advising people with all sorts of conditions?

Perhaps it is just me...I prefer a get well plate of roast pork belly any day...
19030730_10155495594244445_403684939994575683_n.jpg

Reactions: donnellysdogs

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
The sadness is that as diabetics we HAVE to think of it like that. This is a Diabetes forum after all.
I meant in terms of people not knowing about it and then needing to come to this forum due to shocking advice by nutritionists and nurses that get educated on the basis of the eatwell guide....
@first14808 yes, this is one of the reasons I boycott nestle. They have appalling practises in so many countries and are so big that they can sue governments that don't comply with their business interests

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
ome people use a water filter to protect themselves from chlorine poisoning, others buy bottled water. Some buy volcanic spring water in the belief that the sulphur and heavy metal content is healthy minerals.(?????)
And then others buy bottled water because they cant afford to install reverse osmosis filtration. And they do not trust tap water especially fluoridated tap water.

FLUORIDE’S EFFECTS ON INSULIN SECRETION/DIABETES:
“The conclusion from the available studies is that sufficient fluoride exposure appears to bring about increases in blood glucose or impaired glucose tolerance in some individuals and to increase the severity of some types of diabetes. In general, impaired glucose metabolism appears to be associated with serum or plasma fluoride concentrations of about 0.1 mg/L or greater in both animals and humans. In addition, diabetic individuals will often have higher than normal water intake, and consequently, will have higher than normal fluoride intake for a given concentration of fluoride in drinking water. An estimated 16-20 million people in the U.S. have diabetes mellitus; therefore, any role of fluoride exposure in the development of impaired glucose metabolism or diabetes is potentially significant.”

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/diabetes-news-and-studies/63088-fluoride-connection-diabetes/

Last edited: