New Evidence about Type 2 Diabetes

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Although most people who read this forum are already diabetic, this is quite interesting.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1112737762/diabetes-high-fructose-corn-syrup-nations-diet-112812/

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Not really applicable to the UK though as we have never used much HFCS anyway so it wouldnt make any difference to our increase in diabetes.

mazbee

As a dental health educator I know there are over 22 different names manufactures can use to hide to the uneducated, the fact there is sugar in their produce.
HFCS are also known as isoglucose or glucose fructose syrup in the UK.

HFCS can be found in:
Juices, squash, fizzy drinks, energy drinks.
Ice Cream
Cereals
Biscuits
Yogurt drinks
Dried food mixes
Different sauces and dressings
Bread and fruit bread
Crackers

It adds thickness to food, sauces and some drinks, and also extends shelf life of food products.

It is important to read the food ingredients, even though the food industry makes it difficult to read some of their labels.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sid Bonkers said:
Not really applicable to the UK though as we have never used much HFCS anyway so it wouldnt make any difference to our increase in diabetes.

what about all those calls for us to eat fruit then? that's got fructose in it... all those supposedly healthy smoothies than can form part of your five a day... all containing fruit sugars... all those "healthy" tracker type bars and breakfast bars with fruit purée in them...

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Paul_c said:
Sid Bonkers said:

what about all those calls for us to eat fruit then? that's got fructose in it... all those supposedly healthy smoothies than can form part of your five a day... all containing fruit sugars... all those "healthy" tracker type bars and breakfast bars with fruit purée in them...

The fructose in natural fruit is nothing like the processed garbage that is High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) I think you need to do a little more research before scaring people into not eating fruit which is far from bad for us as fruit is packed with vitamins and nutrients, and most diabetics can eat most fruit in moderate amounts.

The UK does not use a lot of HFCS.

Fact: HFCS is regulated in the UK and the rest of Europe and the UK does not even buy its full allowance of HFCS so it is a fallacy to say that it is used in everything in the UK it is not the UK uses far more cane sugar.

History: The UK has always had a big stake in the Sugar Cane market (Tate & Lyle) it is/was also a very big producer of Sugar Beet but has no vested interests in Corn. The however USA has a very large stake in Corn production, the largest in the world probably, so large that the industry lobbied Washington to prohibit imports of other sugar sources ie Cane and Beet to aid their own businesses. A tax was introduced and applied to all Sugar Cane and Beet produce and products imported into the USA which effectively made it too expensive to use so they use Corn Sugar almost exclusively in the production of there food stuffs and as sweeteners.

Therefore all the scare stories you read about in the newspapers and other media have no bearing on the UK food industry whatsoever. They are mealy scare stories used to pad out papers which are immediately pounced upon by certain food, diet and lifestyle writers.

ps There is absolutely no HFCS in whole real foods like meat, fruit, milk and dairy produce and vegetables and to the best of my knowledge no one has ever suggested that biscuits, ready made cakes or ready meals are good for anyone, except perhaps the makers of them.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Folks
A molecule of Fructose is a molecule of Fructose, whatever its source. The reason it's not so harmful in whole fruit, is that is got fibre, vitamins and minerals with it and there's not so much available.
Eating loadss of high Fructose fruits isn't terribly good for you. However, it would probably cause diarrhoea [I spelled this myself without a spellchecker!] and go straight through. Still HFCS also contains a lot of glucose, which puts BG up.
It behoves us to be a bit careful with fruit. I know I can manage half a normal sized apple, but not a whole one. I also don't believe smoothies are good for my blood sugar and thus don't have them. I've been known to make them for grandchildren though.
Lots of stuff "known" to be healthy isn't good for diabetics and probably isn't good for non-diabetics either. For example, breakfast cereal, bread, rice and lo fat [high sugar]yogurt
Hana

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's not much difference in the amount of fructose in the sugars used in the UK and the amount in HFCS. They are all about half fructose.