New Flash Glucose Monitoring from Abbott - Bloodless Testing

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
My DSN has just seen a presentation on this today, Kings will allow readings to be used for pump bolsus and corrections. But not for driving yet as DVLA and a panel are sorting this out.

Start up cost confirmed by Abbott rep today, £138 for monitor and 2 sensors and sensors cost £40 each. And I have a trail of it starting on the 25th Sept, for 4 weeks and it's out mid October in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people
H

Hooked

My DSN has just seen a presentation on this today, Kings will allow readings to be used for pump bolsus and corrections. But not for driving yet as DVLA and a panel are sorting this out.

Start up cost confirmed by Abbott rep today, £138 for monitor and 2 sensors and sensors cost £40 each. And I have a trail of it starting on the 25th Sept, for 2 weeks and it's out mid October in the UK.

I'm a bit deflated hearing the cost of the sensors, I had been (wishfully) hoping they'd cost less.

Great news about Kings though. Keep us posted on your trail, I'd love to hear how you get on.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Less! :p I'd hoped they'd cost a good bit less than the Dexcom sensors, thus making it more affordable and perhaps a chance of me being able to afford them. I run a tight ship here. ;)

Haha! It's less than the Medtronic sensors and lasts twice as long so I'm in!

Reactions: 3 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Hooked , hopefully in a little bit of time, they will bring the price of the sensors down. I am looking forward to trying this, as for me bg testing is hard at points, thats why I wanted to know if Kings would accept the readings for pump use. But by the time I take it back, it should be out to buy here.

Reactions: 3 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone on here actually used this? Would love to know first-hand how it copes with sweaty exercise / showers/ rolling over in bed.

Answers eagerly awaited.

Lucy

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Lucy, I get to try it from the 25th of this month, for 4 weeks:)

Reactions: 2 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes I will, but I'll prob post it in the Blood Glucose, part of this site.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Lucy, I'll tag you in the post I started yesterday, and it will take you to that bit of the forum :)

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone on here actually used this? Would love to know first-hand how it copes with sweaty exercise / showers/ rolling over in bed.

Answers eagerly awaited.

Lucy
@Omnipod has used them as part of a trial iirc; maybe he is able to answer

Britishbob

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not done sweaty exercise so cant answer that bit - You can shower / bathe or swim for 30 mins in it
Rolling over in bed - Now then - Sensor needs to be placed on the back of the upper arm, helps to stop knocking it - No problem in bed
See someone mentioned Dexcom - believe you still need to prick fingers every day to calibrate that system (not certain) - Don't with Freestyle Libre
Freestyle Libre checks your glucose level every 15mins and the sensor stores 8 hours of data

There are videos from people using on Twitter - see - Thoughts FL 1 by Phil Davies

iHs

Lucy, I'll tag you in the post I started yesterday, and it will take you to that bit of the forum :)

I will also be wanting to see how you get on too Julie. With all the trouble you have with finger pricking, Iits nice to see that you'll get a chance to trial it.

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Not done sweaty exercise so cant answer that bit - You can shower / bathe or swim for 30 mins in it
Rolling over in bed - Now then - Sensor needs to be placed on the back of the upper arm, helps to stop knocking it - No problem in bed
See someone mentioned Dexcom - believe you still need to prick fingers every day to calibrate that system (not certain) - Don't with Freestyle Libre
Freestyle Libre checks your glucose level every 15mins and the sensor stores 8 hours of data

There are videos from people using on Twitter - see - Thoughts FL 1 by Phil Davies

Could the sensor be inserted in the tummy instead of the arm as that would prevent it being knocked?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes 5 or 6 twitter users I speak to regularly had them put on yesterday, all in their arm. Personally I'd prefer thigh if possible so would need to investigate that