1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New Flash Glucose Monitoring from Abbott - Bloodless Testing

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Omnipod, Sep 2, 2014.

1. AlexMBrennan

AlexMBrennan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The tagline is "Why prick when you can scan"...

2. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes, but for some reason I've never assumed it is a substitute for finger pricks. Maybe because I've been following it for a few months now so have read as much as possible. It's a shame it seems to be raising false hope

• Like Like x 2
  3. hale710

Yeah if it's affordable long term then I'm definitely in. I was going to self fund CGM from summer next year, but it was only going to be temporary for pre and during pregnancy, I couldn't sustain it forever. I'm hoping the libre will be cheaper so I can get it now and keep using it!

• Like Like x 5
  4. Julie1471

Julie1471 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Start up price is £138 for 2 sensors and the monitor, then £40 each sensor, this price was given to my DSN today at Kings from the Abbott rep, that gave a presentation. And it can be used for bolsus and corrections for pump use, if you are under Kings, the team is happy with this. But for hypo's and driving still finger tests. DVLA are in conversation with a panel of experts, re the use before driving. Also been told available mid October here. But I'm getting one to use for 4 weeks starting 25/9.

• Like Like x 4
  5. hale710

• Like Like x 2
  6. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

7. Ali H

Ali H Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Great blog, I really wish I was still working full time so that I could afford to do this. I care for my parents so only work part time, £60 carers' allowance doesn't go far. :-(

8. hale710

It is not possible, they've yet to see a way to do it

9. Spiker

That is a shame. Makes the running costs twice as much as the Dexcom CGM. :-(

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hooked

Hooked · Guest

Someone should point that out to Abbott, saying as they tout it as cheaper than CGM!

11. Spiker

On official prices and official sensor lifetimes, Libre is half the cost to run as Dexcom, and a tiny fraction of the up front cost. Only if you take into account unauthorised sensor "stretching" - reusing a sensor 4 times say - do you get to the opposite conclusion on running costs.

• Like Like x 2
  12. hale710

No it doesn't, you have to but the transmitter for dex, and it's still more expensive if you don't have the animas pump

• Like Like x 2
  13. Spiker

If you get a Vibe for free you will have saved the transmitter cost in 4 months. Including the cost of the Libre base unit, the Vibe + Dexcom G4 is cheaper overall, from the third month onward (assuming 4 sessions per G4 sensor which might be a bit high). Also, G4 actually is a CGM, whereas Libre is "only" flash monitoring.

And Animas have a habit of dropping prices to kill competition.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Spiker

Putting it another way, unless you can consistently average more than 2 sessions from a Dexcom G4 sensor, you will not see a running cost advantage with G4. If you can average 3 or more sessions the G4 will be cheaper to run, and at some point will be cheaper to own, even if you are not using a free Animas Vibe pump as the receiver.

Abbot probably won't need to drop their prices for Libre sensors because the need to wait for a free pump or buy an expensive receiver will be a barrier to most people. The Libre has such a low startup cost - it's incredible.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Julie1471

Julie1471 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Spiker , what is the start up cost of the G4, I thought it was £500, if you bought through Animas??

16. Spiker

That's a starter pack with I think 4 sensors. Transmitter alone is something like £190.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook