New HBA1C

Rocinante

So I've just had my bloods redone and HB has come down from 43 to 41.

I have lost 15kg in the last year and now exercise quite regularly, normally 180+ mins of intense exercise per week. I do keto quite strictly, except on days when I do bike rides, I just can't survive doing a 3 hr ride with no fuel at the intensities I'm working at (I have a high lactate threshold but low aerobic fitness so low efficiency).

Suppose I am relieved that it is going in the right direction, but I was expecting a bigger drop given my lifestyle changes.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Great work. Everything going in the right direction

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
From my own experience and that of lots of other people on the forum I think that metabolic processes reset around new norms. You may have expected a lower HbA1c but I bet a lot of other markers are much improved! Big pat on the back!

Rocinante

From my own experience and that of lots of other people on the forum I think that metabolic processes reset around new norms. You may have expected a lower HbA1c but I bet a lot of other markers are much improved! Big pat on the back!

Presumably I won't see a reduction until I lose more weight?

My BMI is about 25.5 now so I am overweight and need to lose more, but it is getting progressively harder.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
BMI is only an index that relates weight to height. Unfortunately it does not take into account how much of that weight is active muscle tissue as opposed to relatively inactive fat storage tissue. You sound as though you have made tremendous progress and may have developed more muscle and a lower percentage of body fat. I would be absolutely chuffed if I had a BMI of 25.5!

Reactions: PiersAaron

Rocinante

BMI is only an index that relates weight to height. Unfortunately it does not take into account how much of that weight is active muscle tissue as opposed to relatively inactive fat storage tissue. You sound as though you have made tremendous progress and may have developed more muscle and a lower percentage of body fat. I would be absolutely chuffed if I had a BMI of 25.5!

Yes, I know BMI is a bit of a blunt instrument. I did have a lot more muscle when I was kitesurfing more but since I've really stopped I've lost a lot of it and though my 'spare tyre' is much smaller than it was, I still have a little one. All my surplus fat is central, which I now realise is a huge diabetes risk.