New Here. Using bitter melon and diet

Isn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all

Came across this site. Lots if good information. Im Type 2. Was on metformin a fee years ago. Have been trying to control my levels with diet. Havent been able to do it the best i could. This is pretty much my last shot to show my doctor some good levels. So I am going low carb and having started bitter melon pills. Numbers have been good today (day 3 of pills). Anyone else in the same boat? Or taking bitter melon?

3 month average: 7.1
After meal averages: 9 to 11

These numbers are before bitter melon. Lets see what happens

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Isn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. Ive read good reviews online. Though I also read it is a diuretic which explains why i had to go to the bathroom so much

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
Never heard of them, what are they for please? xx

Isn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically its the extract from a bitter gourd. Its been used in asia for a long time. It has many functions and it plays a role in lowering glucose levels

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
Thanks, I'll check them out. xx

Isn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So the ones im taking say i need to take 3 a day at 90mcg. What are your thoughts?

Its the organika brand. I was unable to put up the link

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Ive been low carbing for a month but have some bad days. Pre breakfast would be on average about 7.5
bad days as in food cravings? http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm
if it was me, I'd seriously low carb atkins induction diet or http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf with the melon
give it another month, if you aren't down. I'd get back metformin 2000gm or another drug with or instead of. Take the melon as well [check for any known drug interaction]

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So the ones im taking say i need to take 3 a day at 90mcg. What are your thoughts?

Its the organika brand. I was unable to put up the link

don't bother it's a waste of money
3 x 2,000mg = 6,000mg = 6,000,000mcg = tested dose...... divide by 90cmg per your tab= 66,000 tablets a day
less than 1 x 1,000mg metformin is equal to 66,000 melon tablets @ 90cmg
refer to
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21211558

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A bitter melon looks like a spiky cucumber or courgette.

My friend cooked it for me. It's an acquired taste but I quite enjoyed it.

twosweet

Fell off the LCHF wagon for about a month. No extreme, just not as cautious and I saw my meter register 6.2 's in the morning for a week long and that was it for me. Back to low carb high fat and corrected it fairly quickly. I'm back to the low 5's in the morning and that works for me.
Never heard of bitter melon tabs, so unfortunately unable to help.

good luck with it.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bitter melon seems to work better if it is taken fresh as opposed to the pills. Its only an aid and can have a gradual effect.

Paul577

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The melon is consumed in many Asian countries but to get any significant response it would be necessary to take capsules as it would be very difficult to consume sufficient from the natural source. I tried them and found they made no difference at all to my levels ( but it may be different for others).
The only thing that worked for me was the shift to a moderately low carb regime( 60-80 g per day). Some studies show good responses from bitter melon..just not for me.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Would bitter lemon work? For a dyslexic? With gin?