New here

Pandrea82

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. So I was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago with type 2 and really struggling to comprehend things. My mum is type 1, started with gestational diabetes 40 years ago. My dad is type 2 on insulin, diagnosed about 15 years ago so you would think I’d be more educated on it. My 1st hba1c was 84, repeated 4 weeks later and it was down to 78 (I have no idea what these numbers mean) I started metformin and had horrific side effects so I’m now on slow release ones which are much better for me. I’ve got my first appointment with the nurse next week but at the moment im finding things difficult in regards to food and work. I suffer with mental health and even though I was warned a while ago that I was on the verge of diabetes I didn’t take any notice but it’s still come as a shock. I’m scared to eat anything and find myself obsessing over nutrition values. I suppose I’m just here to speak to others in the same situation. Yes, I have my parents but it’s just easier to speak to strangers behind a screen. I hope you’re all well and got to the bottom of my rambling post

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. So I was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago with type 2 and really struggling to comprehend things. My mum is type 1, started with gestational diabetes 40 years ago. My dad is type 2 on insulin, diagnosed about 15 years ago so you would think I’d be more educated on it. My 1st hba1c was 84, repeated 4 weeks later and it was down to 78 (I have no idea what these numbers mean) I started metformin and had horrific side effects so I’m now on slow release ones which are much better for me. I’ve got my first appointment with the nurse next week but at the moment im finding things difficult in regards to food and work. I suffer with mental health and even though I was warned a while ago that I was on the verge of diabetes I didn’t take any notice but it’s still come as a shock. I’m scared to eat anything and find myself obsessing over nutrition values. I suppose I’m just here to speak to others in the same situation. Yes, I have my parents but it’s just easier to speak to strangers behind a screen. I hope you’re all well and got to the bottom of my rambling post
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html This should help with the basics about what to eat, and how to test effectively. If you have specific questions, or general ones, throw them out there. You're going to be fine, we've got you. ;)
Hugs,
Jo

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Pandrea82 and welcome. I’ve been T2 diabetic for years but for some bizarre reason decided to ignore it. I knew it wouldn’t go away but in complete denial. When I first discovered low carb was the way to go about 4 years ago I was like you and scared to eat anything. I did then get a BG testing kit and spent hours watching YouTube videos on keto and low carb for information and swaps. I soon discovered my GP surgery was giving me bad advice suggesting I eat less calories but stick with bread rice and pasta for every meal. :rolleyes: Thank goodness I found this forum with the brilliant support and great advice. (Although Dr Ken Berry, Jason Fung and Keto Focus on YouTube just to name a few were great too). Read as much information as you can on this website and the forums, they are great. Well don’t for joining and look forward to hearing your progress

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @Pandrea82
T2 doesn't develop overnight, it's been sneaking up on you for years, try not to get too overwhelmed with all of the sometimes conflicting information out there.
You have got the rest of your life to figure it all out, whichever way you decide tackle your diagnosis there is one absolute truth to keep in mind.
Carbohydrates when digested release glucose into your blood, whatever diet you choose or experts you listen to, that fact never changes.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The simplest way to put it is, everything you were always told was unhealthy to eat. Is actually the perfect food for a type 2 diabetic.
Eggs.
Nice fatty meats.
Oily fish.
Cream.
Butter.
Cheese.
Cook in lard, dripping and olive oil.
McDonalds double cheeseburgers, throw away the bun and they're perfectly alright.
Don't worry about calories, eat until your are satisfied, and suffer no hunger pangs. Further down the line, if you wish to lose weight, then will be the time to think of cutting down on what you eat.
The important foods to avoid, are Potatoes, Pasta, Rice, Pastry, Bread, Breakfast cereals, and avoid anything grain based.
Once you are in a position to test your blood sugar levels, that is the time you can start to sort out which foods affect YOU badly and so to avoid, and which YOUR system can cope with, so base your meals around these.

Grandma Misti

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Welcome to the "club no one willingly joins" Pandrea. It's been a LONG long time since I joined, and I will add my voice to the chorus of wisdom here with the advice that made all the difference to me 25 years ago when I was the newbie.

Get a glucometer, test test test!

Figure out what YOUR body does with various foods and then eat to your meter. (Every body is a little different. For a long time, I could eat potatoes without too much trouble, but even the smallest amount of any grain would send my bg into the stratosphere. Evidently, my body eventually read the book, because now it behaves a lot more like "the common wisdom".)

The way you eat to your meter is to test before your first bite of food and then at one, two, and three hours later. You will soon discover when your body usually reaches its peak blood sugar. Then you switch to testing before you eat and at the point when your blood sugar will be reaching its peak.

Twenty five years ago, we believed that if you could reach a peak of no more than 7.8, it was safe. Now, the rules, based on 25 years more experience, is a little different. I think @JoKalsbeek has a nutritional thingy that might be more explicit. I'm not a numbers person, so I'm not going to risk getting it wrong, but I recommend that you read that. It's in her signature and very helpful. If I'm wrong about where I read the new guidelines, I hope someone else will pipe up.

Anyway, I found this technique the most helpful to me because it put *me* in the diver's seat. I became a test case of one and my body's rules were what mattered rather than a whole lot of things to remember. It eventually saw me eating what has become known as classical low carb, but I made decisions based on what my normal foods were. To keep from having to change entirely, I sought out "low carb recipes" for what I was used to eating. What I ate was not ideal for a long time, but it was changes I could maintain. Ie instead of giving up porridge, I made mine from almond flour. Now I eat other things, but I needed not to have too many changes while I was learning.

Good luck to you, Pandrea. It's not an easy learning curve, but you can do this and we are here to help!

Reactions: aylalake