New Here

Melgar

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there @Paulgee3 and welcome to the forum. I just wanted to touch base with you. There are so many members here who have been in your shoes, I‘m sure felt the same way you are feeling now after your TD2 diagnosis. They will be able to advise you on all things TD2 including how to bring your blood sugars down through diet by lowering your carb intake. They will help you with all your questions. I’m on the West coast of Canada and 8 hours behind you if you are in the UK. :)

You can definitely turn this around through diet and if you are into it, exercise to get your blood sugars down. So many T2’s have! So I will leave it to members here who are far more knowledgeable than I on diet.

Melgar

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I should mention you have come to the right place !

Reactions: jpscloud

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello and welcome. We've all been where you are. The one thing I wish someone had told me right at the start is to forget everything you think you know about healthy eating.

I found that a low carb diet of around 20 g carb/day worked and works very well for me. That means no root veg (esp potato), bread, rice, pasta, sugar, fruit. My carb comes from green veg, pretty much, and I eat a lot of meat, fish, and dairy.

I'd advise having a look at the "success stories" section of the forum. You'll see lots of accounts from people who've reduced their blood glucose quite sharply and have often lost a lot of bodyfat at the same time. It should give you an idea of what can be done.

best of luck. Ask as many questions as you want.

May Mic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just found out I have diabetes :(
You have joined the club no one wants to belong to.

The good news is, now you know. Now you can start taking the necessary steps to control it, manage it, live with it.

Lots of great advice to be found on the site. Ask any questions you may have. Don't think any questions are too silly... they aren't. We all need to find out things. Your questions may also help someone else.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And we have been here and done that. We present actual real-life experience, not theory. The biggest knowledge of all is that "we are all different" and have different bodily responses to similar circumstances, rather than being lumped into the same categories as medical staff tend to do. There is no "wrong" but a fair bit of "unexpected" and you can be pretty sure that, between us, we cover most experiences and are always willing to learn more.

Paulgee3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there @Paulgee3 and welcome to the forum. I just wanted to touch base with you. There are so many members here who have been in your shoes, I‘m sure felt the same way you are feeling now after your TD2 diagnosis. They will be able to advise you on all things TD2 including how to bring your blood sugars down through diet by lowering your carb intake. They will help you with all your questions. I’m on the West coast of Canada and 8 hours behind you if you are in the UK. :)

You can definitely turn this around through diet and if you are into it, exercise to get your blood sugars down. So many T2’s have! So I will leave it to members here who are far more knowledgeable than I on diet.
Thank you Melgar :) I have been studying/reading a lot online too.

Reactions: Melgar

Paulgee3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hello and welcome. We've all been where you are. The one thing I wish someone had told me right at the start is to forget everything you think you know about healthy eating.

I found that a low carb diet of around 20 g carb/day worked and works very well for me. That means no root veg (esp potato), bread, rice, pasta, sugar, fruit. My carb comes from green veg, pretty much, and I eat a lot of meat, fish, and dairy.

I'd advise having a look at the "success stories" section of the forum. You'll see lots of accounts from people who've reduced their blood glucose quite sharply and have often lost a lot of bodyfat at the same time. It should give you an idea of what can be done.

best of luck. Ask as many questions as you want.
yeah no potatoes is a killer for me, it's one of the only things that fills me up, on a positive note I can eat more steak :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Paulgee3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have joined the club no one wants to belong to.

The good news is, now you know. Now you can start taking the necessary steps to control it, manage it, live with it.

Lots of great advice to be found on the site. Ask any questions you may have. Don't think any questions are too silly... they aren't. We all need to find out things. Your questions may also help someone else.
**** right, no offence but I really wish I was not talking to any of you.... :) yeah; found a lot of great tips.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
yeah no potatoes is a killer for me, it's one of the only things that fills me up, on a positive note I can eat more steak :)
Yes, about that: I thought the same. After a bit without potato, bread, rice, pasta, cereal stuff, the sorts of stuff that gets added to the plate to "fill you up" - that thing went away.

I used to eat two full bowls of pasta to "fill me up" - these days I just don't want that sort of carby bulk. I'll eat steak at any opportunity, and I find a decent steak with maybe some mushrooms in a cream sauce, or a green salad, or spinach, or an olive tapenade, will see me not wanting to eat for maybe 24 hours. The thing is that for me fat is satiating in a way that carb is not.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find that cooking, then chilling them for day, and then reheating them helps. Everyone's metabolism is different, but I find now that I can eat mash or roasties without too many problems. Just not the mountains of mash, nor the reams of roasties that I used to eat. Test your blood sugar right before eating, and again two hours later.

Paulgee3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, about that: I thought the same. After a bit without potato, bread, rice, pasta, cereal stuff, the sorts of stuff that gets added to the plate to "fill you up" - that thing went away.

I used to eat two full bowls of pasta to "fill me up" - these days I just don't want that sort of carby bulk. I'll eat steak at any opportunity, and I find a decent steak with maybe some mushrooms in a cream sauce, or a green salad, or spinach, or an olive tapenade, will see me not wanting to eat for maybe 24 hours. The thing is that for me fat is satiating in a way that carb is not.
Yeah; do need to experiment with this a little I think :) may need to gradually decrease potato intake, I do know I have lost several pounds since limiting my sugar intake, very quickly actually which is a good thing.

Paulgee3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find that cooking, then chilling them for day, and then reheating them helps. Everyone's metabolism is different, but I find now that I can eat mash or roasties without too many problems. Just not the mountains of mash, nor the reams of roasties that I used to eat. Test your blood sugar right before eating, and again two hours later.
You are 100% right since being able to monitor my glucose I have noticed that some foods actually neutralise the effects of certain carbs, either slow down the rapid rise or completely stop it in its tracks. YUM MASH :)

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah; do need to experiment with this a little I think :) may need to gradually decrease potato intake, I do know I have lost several pounds since limiting my sugar intake, very quickly actually which is a good thing.
A lot depends on what you were eating as well as what you are. Diet doctor is a good source of information on carb percentages and amounts.

You'll see potato is not recommended. Some people manage it better than others: I normally keep potato (at 19g/100g) out of my food completely.